Tyre Recommendations - Xantia Hydractive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Tyre Recommendations - Xantia Hydractive

Post by myglaren »

Our local ATS and Tyrespot have the adaptors.
However, my third set of Sailun Atezzo tyres will be fitted tomorrow.
The fitter can't balance them and said to go somewhere that could.
Never did and they have never needed it.
Smoothest and quietest tyres I have had, perform well but I rarely push them although they can leave anything in their wake on bends and roundabouts.
Also cheap - full set of 205 65 R15 £168 delivered from Oponeo - Camskill similarly priced.
Have had far more expensive tyres and all needed much balancing and were never really satisfactory while these suit me perfectly.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Tyre Recommendations - Xantia Hydractive

Post by white exec »

Some of the fitters I visited
- couldn't find the adaptor, or only had (an old) one which didn't fit their current machine
- didn't know how to assemble (configure) them for 5-stud
- didn't know that the machine needed to do an 'empty spindle' reset (0-0) first
- didn't know that the adaptor needed to be put on the shaft, and then the machine reset (0-0) before the wheel was loaded for balancing.

One NTS (Hampshire) actually added 160g of weights to one wheel :!: , in an attempt to obtain balance. When I pointed out that the wheel was mounted completely out-of-true, I was told that that was normal, and the machine would compensate. So fitted, I drove the car away, and was not able to exceed 35mph. At the end of my then urgent journey (about 30 miles), the offending wheels were removed, and the dozen or so adhesive weights sliced off. I then drove the 1500 miles from Hampshire to the south of Spain. To avoid the slight vibration, choice was below 70mph, or above 85. Decisions, decisions...! 8-)
Ten minutes on my local machine, and the problem was sorted.
Chris