Help for another AX owner please!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

Help for another AX owner please!!

Post by cheesesliceking »

Can anyone help with a fewwlow AX owner witha bit of a problem :)
Its a 92 AX GTI[8D]
heres wot happened : was drivin home from work yesterday,,, hit 80 odd in thrid then 4th then 5th,, slowed down to 60 ish in 5th and the car starts rumbling and shakin and sounds all spluttery and didnt wanna pull - the sound that happened when it messed up was like as tho sumthin got sucked up or a blocking-ish sound,, real hard to describe,,, i thought i had a flat tyre at 1st i should be so lucky!
Now whe he tries to start it chugs and chugs,,,, and he got it to start once,,, after pumpin the accelerator,, then it sounded rough like a motorbike but worse ,, then i just turned it off,, in the enginebay , could smell petrol/gas but there is oil on it anyway from the leakin rocker cover gasket,,, so i dont know what to make of the smell...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

80'ish in third ?
Isn't that a bit like asking for trouble [:I]
- sorry - that's not the issue [:)]
Try the following :
Remove all spark plugs - remove the rocker cover - unplug low tension side of ignition.
Plug (squeese) the fuel feed hose avoiding fuel gushing out.
Now you won't have any fuel or ignition sparking as a hazard for further testing - and the engine can be cranked easy with no compression.
Try fit locking bolts in ref holes for both crank & cam - tracing a possible belt failure (stripped cogs on belt).
Try slowly cranking the engine manually by the crank pulley bolt - gauging that the piston's TDC coincides with sensible valve lift - observing any strange resistance felt against cranking.
Crank the engine by the starter - listen for any noises - observe the rockers lifting the valves.
Anything unusal observed should be tracked down to a possible problem.
cheesesliceking

Cheers Anders [:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

BTW csk -
The GT would be the twin carb'ed 1.4L K1G engine ?
cheesesliceking

The GT is the single carb twin choke solex thingamabob, but this fella has the GTI so no carb. not as rapid either!..[:p]
Cheers Anders [8D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok tx csk -
x-ing fingers on the GTI of your mate's [:)]
cheesesliceking

Cheers Anders [;)]