xantia rear suspension problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hughesag

xantia rear suspension problems

Post by hughesag »

I've just brought a P-reg Xantia 1.9 TD sx diesel estate from a dealer. It has 65000 miles on the clock, but has been sitting around for a while. Smoky starting has been cured by replacing the glowplugs (at the dealer's expense) last week. However, the STOP and (!) light had been flickering. I assumed this was due to the smoky starting, but the lights stay on for the first 15 minutes of driving. I checked the hydraulic fluid level at full ride height. This was low, so I brought some Castrol THM and topped the levels up. Thought I'd try the full range of ride height and went to low. First time I tried this, the car rose up fine. 2nd time the rear suspension stuck at low and has stayed stuck!
I would be grateful for any thoughts.
Ta
Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

By THM I believe you actually mean LHM ? [:)]
You tried the Citaerobics - which is good to vent any air in the suspension.
A weak point is however exactly the rear height automatic level correction. This is known to stick in either highest or lowest setting - by the mechanical linkages being dry/rusty in pivoting joints. These linkages transfers the position of the antiroll bar to the height corrector valve HC - thus providing the reputed hydraulic Citroen automatic height levelling.
It's simple matters to correct the problem - but you must be careful getting under a hydraulic suspension Citroen - as any fiddling with the height correction <i>MAY</i> cause the car slam down squashing you.
First spray with any antirust lubing - then apply a dap of (standard) grease to all pivoting points you can see. Now try manually help the linkages free up.
This is typically part of the yearly common preventive service points during nice summer weather.
Note that Xantiae on rear has a small plastic connection piece to the HC - which may either split - or fall off. But usually this means the rear height is stuck in high.
Glennie

Post by Glennie »

We have a similar problem. we have a 94 2 litre Xantia. No problems up until now and suddenly the rear suspension is stuck. The car remains down, just the front suspension rises. We have added more hydralic fluid but that doesn't seem to help. We know that someone (not a mechanic) used the manual lever to check if it worked. If done incorrectly could this put air in the system or is it something else??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Glennie -
Working with the manual height setting will in many cases free a stuck corrector mechanism - for a while. But clearly since the rear height is stuck in the first place - you need to have the mechanism serviced/greased to avoid similar events in future.
It's a very simple & cheap garage operation - similar to lubing the door hinges.
Definately won't harm - opposite may do good - to play with the height setting lever now & then - to keep it "alive". Anything moveable on a car will stick by rust & dirt over time - if not used for longish.
Air may get into the suspension - <i>if the hydraulic fluid level get's too low</i>. But then it can be vented using Citaerobics.
It's indeed recommanded to do every now & then - since the spheres by nature & construction constantly diffuses micro-tiny amounts of N-gas out in the hydraulics. Over time (weeks to months) this behaves as if air has got into the suspension.
hughesag

Post by hughesag »

Many thanks for the advice, I'm rining the dealer tomorrow to negociate fixing the problem under warranty. I'll remember the fluid is LHM next time (L'huile Hydropneumatique Minerale?)
Thanks again
Andrew
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

"liquide hydraulique minerale"