C5 cracking noise from rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
donor 2017

C5 cracking noise from rear

Post by lexi » 30 Jun 2018, 22:21

Is this the way that the rear arm bearings start their failure? A very odd time I get a cracking noise on ramp overs or a certain bump in road. Only an odd time in a day, though it went away for a week. I have the bearing kits in stock. I also have remains of a pin which I have drilled and ground down in the hope that ram rod will come out of arm hole. Have also freed of every fastener needed............broke 2 T55 torx bits in the process. Halfords said they had not seen these break before (lifetime warranty). They gave a bright blue spark as they broke. That was a breaker bar and a 5ft ally scaffy tube mind you.
The weather is good, so it is tempting to fit the new kits.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 cracking noise from rear

Post by myglaren » 30 Jun 2018, 22:46

May be too little too late Alex but I have convinced myself that regular (excessive) Citroebics helps to keep the trailing arm bearings free.

Could be wishful thinking too :(

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 01 Jul 2018, 21:08

My suspension is up and down a lot Steve. It makes no noises or creaking while doing that. I do wonder if it may be something else making the crack noise? I had the big levers on the arm bushes to check for play, and there is no splaying of the wheels. I can see a grease trace inside the inner faces, so those inside bearings do not look dry. Outer faces are hidden by big washer and bolt head.
I might let it "develop".

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 01 Jul 2018, 21:36

I was told that mine were shot - a while back now.
I asked two years running that they be checked over thoroughly by the MOT tester and the mechanic who does the awkward bits for me - well, all the bits really.

They could find nothing untoward.
It turned out to be the rear brake pads clattering around due to no anti-rattle springs.
Bearings are and were fine.
I don't know if they have been done in the past, the car looks as though it hasn't had an easy life and is on >225,000 miles now.

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 01 Jul 2018, 22:50

Bravo on the big miles Steve. For cars that are basically unloved, they can provide some solid transport and are tough old beasts.