XM Hydralic system rinse

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steve the grease

XM Hydralic system rinse

Post by Steve the grease »

Hi there I've fairly recently got an XM 2.1td vsx back on the roa with 180,000 miles on it. In accordance with good practice I've run it for about three thousand miles on the "Hydrarinsage " hydraulic system cleaner. On Thursday I drained it and what came out was disgusting ...... basically Black with a slight hint of greeness to it. I've refilled ( after cleaning the tank of course) with LHM now , but my gut feeling is to refil with "Hydrarinse" and keep on flushing and redoing it until it comes out a better colour. The instructions are to refill with LHM after 3-5000km. What do others think.....?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve the grease
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Steve,
There seem to be mixed opinions about rinsing agent and it's effectiveness.
You may wish to post at
XM-L@yahoogroups.com
where lots of XM drivers have flushed with the stuff.
HTH
Cheers
rg
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmmm....
Hydracleanse (Hydrarinquage) is in fact developed by Total - exactly for the purpose of cleaning/flushing Citroen's LHM based hydraulic systems.
If you get back what best compares with "mud" after such a hydracleanse cure - it's more than liky the LHM has never been replaced - but simply the reservoir emptied - and then refilled.
Unfortunately not a rare experience on hydraulic Citroens with doubtful service histories.
You have done nothing wrong - you can assure yourself !
In your case - to your description - it may in fact be advantageous to repeat the Hydracleanse cure.
Despite the Hydracleanse having less lubricating capabilities - it does not exactly grind down the system from inside.
A few Kkm's running this fluid does neglegible wear compared to normal wear in system - between 180Kkm recommanded cleaning intervals.
Note that the Hydracleanse during cleaning reveals any wear/service problems - does not by itself cause any strange symptoms.
Once you're back on a clean LHM after latest fluid shift - you then see exactly what problems exists in the hydraulics.
LHM fluid service tells you how - not to miss any details.