Missing Spare

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

biggor

Missing Spare

Post by biggor »

Some desperate person has stolen my spare wheel from the underside of my xantia. I am trying to locate a new spare without going to main dealer. I have citroen standard alloys, I have tried various breakers yards but the only few xantia's they had were unsuitable. I did locate a wheel that fitted (from a peugeot) but the bolts securing the alloys do not secure the standard wheel because they are too long. Any ideas guys or is a trip to the main dealer?
Xantia 1997 1.8sx 66k
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Use a steel wheel, but keep 4 shorter steel wheel bolts with the jack. On my 205 GTi is use a 405 steel wheel and bolts.
On my 306 the steel spare has spacers welded to the the bolt holes, so you can use the alloy bolts.
Paul.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Get the bolts from the breakers that match the steel wheel.
Neil
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Do that to keep you going until you find a matching alloy spare. Don't drive too far with no spare, it's a major inconvenience if you get a flat AND it's against the law.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

check on eBay - there is always something on sale there.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't believe that it is against the law not to carry a spare wheel, certainly it is common for commercial vehicles not to carry one. What I do know is that if you have one for MOT purposes it must comply with the requirements but I'm not even sure it has to comply at other times unless it is in contact with the road. (after all you are entitled to take a bald tyre to the tip!)
Jeremy
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Some new model cars come with no spare wheel. Just a little spray tube to seal temporarly till you get to the nearest garage. The spare is not a subjest to an MOT. I'm sure, I had to check that for mine.
guzzidom

Post by guzzidom »

They took the spare wheel rule out of the mot back in 1999 as everyone just took the spare off!. I dont know about yours but my '94 xantia vsx has a weird spare wheel that you can't use above 70mph (according to the manual, I've never actually got it out!) so you may be better off going to a scrappy and just taking one off a vehicle like for like.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nikolaymk</i>

check on eBay - there is always something on sale there.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
... which may be your own stolen wheel [:(!]
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

where abouts do you live ? I know of a few breakers in west yorks that had 15" vsx alloys in last week.My td vsx has a steel wheel as standard spare which fits ok with the alloy wheel bolts.