What is wrong with my car!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beck1

What is wrong with my car!!

Post by beck1 »

Can anyone help me? I have a ZX advantage 1.9d and when its really cold the engine wont start because for some reason the battery is flat. If its not cold the engine starts first time. Its really confusing me, and its very annoying. please help me!!!
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Probably a knackered battery. Changing it for a new one will probably work wonders...
Stu.
beck1

Post by beck1 »

Ok thanx ill look into it. Although my dad did tell me to check the electrolite level in the battery.. what do you think??
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Well, maybe - if your battery isn't a "maintenance free" type (unlikely). Car batteries generally only last 3-5 years anyway before going bad - so if it's getting on a bit it'll be worth your while changing it rather than messing about.
Stu.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

The spell of cold we're having at present makes it worse as well for two reasons.
1. The oil is nice and thick because of the low temperature. It's like wading through treacle from a cold start, so this puts a bigger load on the battery when you try starting.
2. The chemical processes inside the battery work better at higher temperatures. The colder it is, the less current the battery can generate.
It looks like a new battery is needed to me. Shop around, don't buy it from Halfords / Kwikfit etc. If you're near a GSF, they will sell you a much better battery for the same money. Alternatively, try a local (non national chain) tyre and battery place and buy one with a long guarantee, the difference between a 1 year and 3 year warrantied battery is only a few quid usually.
Make sure you get the proper diesel battery, a petrol one isn't up to starting a diesel.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

If the electrolyte level is down, the battery will probably have been permanently damaged.
Check the connectors, and the earth to the engine.
You probably need a new battery.
A useful tip is to put your headlights on for a minute to warm the battery slightly before you attempt to start the car
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Call me thick, but wouldnt that make starting less likely if the battery was on its way out?
Cant think of anything other than rear screen demist which would sap more current than the headlamps when the battery isnt charging.
I would have thought physical warming would be better! (keep it in a garage, pour warm water over (battery) it etc).
If anyone else can shed light on this i will stand corrected.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If the battery's on its way out get a new one. It'll cost the same whether you buy it now or in 6 months and the chances are you'll sell the car with that battery. There's no point in giving the next owner 6 months extra battery life and yourself 6 months less.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I've heard of the trick of leaving your lights on for a minute or so before starting, but I've always been very sceptical of its necessity in the relatively mild UK winters.
It is only intended for extremely cold climates (Siberia etc !), so cold that the electrolyte in the battery can actually freeze solid. I doubt it gets cold enough in the UK for this to happen
Starting a car with a frozen solid battery can cause the battery to burst, as the electrolyte thaws very suddenly when the massive starting current is passed through it. By building the current up slowly (eg by putting the lights on first) it thaws the acid much more slowly. To do this, the battery does need to be in good condition in the first place though. Trying this trick with a partially flat or dying battery will only kill it even quicker.
In any case, diesels do this for you, no need to switch the lights on - just turn the glow plugs on!
Nick
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

The battery has a small internal resistance. Turning the lights on will make a current flow through the battery which has a heating effect proportional to the square of the current being drawn. This will warm the electrolyte slightly, which will assist in speeding the chemical processes inside the battery allowing it to acheive a higher peak current than when its fully cold.
Like Nick says - probably of no use in this country.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Had the same sort of problem. Cold nights the ZX td would take for ever to start but warm nights all ok. Bought a new battery job sorted starts first time every time.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi,
I was talking to some guy a couple of years ago, who drove lorries in Labrador. (Damn cold winter, often -30 to -40 deg C) He said to start cars, they often trickle charge batteries all night, then short them out in the morning for 20 seconds or so to get the batteries warm enough to start them up. (I don't fancy this one bit..!) Then they start the car, he said....
I asked how they started the lorries in the winter.
He said they didn't start them, they just don't stop them until April or May...
cheers
Russell [8D][8D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The battery has a small internal resistance. Turning the lights on will make a current flow through the battery which has a heating effect proportional to the square of the current being drawn. This will warm the electrolyte slightly, which will assist in speeding the chemical processes inside the battery allowing it to acheive a higher peak current than when its fully cold.
Like Nick says - probably of no use in this country
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Spot on, arry. Agreed that if your battery was knackered, it would not improve things. IMHO, it will make a difference in temperatures below zero - not that uncommon in UK in winter
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Does the battery have enough power to turn the engine over? If it does than you may have a couple of dead glowplugs. In the warm they're not so essential and 2 will start the car. Then again, I've never had more than 7 years out of a battery so every ZX should ne on at least it's second battery by now!
Simon
beck1

Post by beck1 »

Thankyou all for your help, ill invest in a new battery!! I dont have a garage its kept on my driveway.
Many thanx again to you all, Beck