No guts no glory. Glow plugs that is.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

No guts no glory. Glow plugs that is.

Post by Stuart McB »

Well I decided it was about time to change the ZX TD's glow plugs, I've read all the posts about how bad they can be especially the number 4 behind the pump. Bought a set from GSF (beru) and this morning opend the bonnet. Now I'd got a fair idea what to expect so I had on hand
1)box of plasters
1) swear jar (for all the F words I'd be using)
A flask of coffee
1) can of plus gas, large
and all my spanners and stuff ready to hand. Now the fisrt 2 took aout 20mins to remove and replace but number 3 was completly rounded off by the past owner. it took almost an hour to get this bugger out but after much use of the swear jar it came out. I found that 2 square shafted screw drivers one either side of the 12mm ring spanner gave just enough purchase to crack it open then off it came. Now number four looked like it was going to take time and removal of all the pipes around it, but guess what, gave it a good soak with the old plus gas has a drink and 20 mins later job done no messing about out it came in went the new one. Nice and tight then the 8 mm nut again nice and tight all ok. Started first time for the first time in ages. I put this down to being prepared with information gained from this site so thanks to you guys for getting the job done.[:)][:)][:)]
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

ah, but did you put a little bit of copper grease on the thread to make it easier next time for them to come out of the engine??[:p]
dom
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Naturally. I'd read it on this site. This will aide removal by the next owner. I say next as the wifes just told me abot an Alfa Romeo 146 going cheap near her works. N reg low milage for the year (80 or 90K) and apparently it's good nick. One down side is it's white, but I've fancied one of these Alfa's for years. So you never know the ZX may be gone sooner that I thought. Mind saying that the spec's on both vehicles are the same except the Alfa has less mpg.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Alfa!
frying pan -> fire
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Been and had a lookt his morning. From the front all ok but a lagre dent in the rear drives panel. The odometer read only 73k but the seating and interior said more like 173k. The dealer wasn't very forth coming on any previous details plus his add said alloys and it had wheel trims. All in all a right old knacker. Not what I'm after at all. I what a decent motor with some form of history that don't look like it's been tamperd with. So it's back to the hunt for a 3 door Volcane 2.0 petrol or a 1.9 turbo diesel in grey or black with a service history and one of the last so a bit newere than my ZX Avantage. Bit i can wait.