C5 vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

faddy
My Cars: 2008 C5 VTR+ 2.0i Auto

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

C5 vibration

Post by faddy »

My C5 X7 2.0i Auto has been making a bit of a whining noise of recent weeks which my wife, whose hearing is better than mine, tells me is getting worse. Today after a drive of only a couple of miles there was a pronounced vibration through the steering wheel when turning left at a junction close to home. There is a strip of cobbles at the junction but I've never had this happen before. Drove around the block and the same thing happened.

After I'd had my tea I went out again in the cool of the evening and this time there was no vibration at that junction so I then went to a local supermarket car park (empty!) and drove on full lock a few times, again no problem. Quick run along the motorway and back home and the vibration at the cobbled junction had returned. Car seemed generally louder than usual - though I'm not the best judge of that as my hearing can be a bit variable - and the last thing I spotted was that there's a slight vibration through the steering wheel when stationary in Drive, but not when stationary in Park, which I think is new.

Car's done 47k miles.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: C5 vibration

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi Faddy, not going to be much help here, but as you have an auto I assume it also has the Hydropneumatic suspension, it sounds as if the vibration only happens when the car is warm, I am thinking, engine mount or the exhaust bouncing around.
My car 'Whines' when if changes up too soon, especially into 6th.
Good luck
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi