New Citroen relay owner with problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimbos123
New User
My Cars: Citroen relay 35 2.2hdi 2010

New Citroen relay owner with problems

Post by jimbos123 »

Hi, new member here, just purchased a 2010 Citroen relay tipper 35 2.2 hdi. All good when checking but coming home on the motorway it was black smoking from the exhaust. Seems to be when put under load. Runs ok, maybe doesn't pull as good as it should but not sure if that's underpowered engine spec. Engine ticks over nicely and it's not missing.
Black smoke when revving up.
Any help for a helpful boiler engineer please?? Tried some egr cleaner down air filter hole, changed badly clogged air filter for new, was thinking maybe a new MAP sensor? Or It is it a MAF?
Have called a mechanic to come round late next week but if it's something that's common and I can go myself? Thought I'd got a bargain 🙄
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: New Citroen relay owner with problems

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome. I’d be a little concerned concerning black smoke as in the way you describe. I would get your mechanic to check whether some previous owner has removed the Diesel Particulate Filter (which this model should have), as these should not be emitting black smoke!

If you have the VIN or the reg (send via private message if you like) I will check up as to whether it should have one. I suspect that there will be more vehicles coming on the second hand market that have had DPFs removed and people are getting shot of them before the stricter MOTs coming on this month to check for their removal, which is illegal for a vehicle used on a public road.

It is possible that it is something else, but there reall y shouldn’t be any black smoke with a DPF equipped vehicle.

The other reason I mentioned it, is if it has been removed, you should reject the vehicle and return it on the basis it is not road legal - fingers crossed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bick

Re: New Citroen relay owner with problems

Post by Bick »

Jim im sorry but i have only bad news for you the Relay you have on a 2010 plate is a ford engine and they are not the best - they are known for injector problems - major engine problems - turbo problems the list does go on. Even if the particulate filter is still there (i suspect it is) they can still emit clouds of black smoke when under load - thus clogging the particulate filter with no chance of a regen. I suspect this is no easy of cheap fix mate so your mechanic may be able to help.

Sorry for all the bad news mate i hate to give it like this.