Xantia 2 1.9TD ECU / Immobilizer issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Xantia 2 1.9TD ECU / Immobilizer issue

Post by Deacon »

Hello,

My young lady just got new belts, pulleys, and tensioners for her 200 000 km anniversary. To do the job, the service guy disconnected the ECU (for 3 days until everything got put together). The Immobilizer has been removed sometime in the past and the solenoid on the pump (that allowed fuel after a signal from the immobilizer) is now activated via a wire from the ones that were previously connected to the now removed immobilizer.

Right, so now after everything was put together, the car didn't want to start (nothing was touched in the wiring). On ignition, the wires, connected to the solenoid didn't pass current. So, a 12V wire from the battery to the solenoid opened it and the car started, BUT the smart injector (it's a '98 XUD9TE, with the DHX VIN code) isn't activated, there's no power to the ECU (and the relays in its box), the advance of low/high RPMs on the fuel pump isn't working, and the glow plug light isn't showing (thought, glow plugs are working).

The car runs now, but with bypassed ECU, it runs like a dog, smokes and without the "smart" function of the smart injector, I can count the number of times it is opening and closing.

The questions that I have are: Is it possible that when the immobilizer was removed, they did something in the ECU and we did reset it now after being disconnected for so long from the car? What exactly the ECU does control on the last/latest XUD9TE engines with Bosch fuel pump?

The car is scheduled for an appointment with an electrician these days, but any bits of advice would be welcomed!
Xantia Estate MK.2 1.9 TD, 1999
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Xantia 2 1.9TD ECU / Immobilizer issue

Post by MikeT »

The ECU controls ignition timing, fast idle and EGR.
If it was working before, have you checked the fuses and connectors?
Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Post by Deacon »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

So, it appears that the ECU isn't getting any power and from there on the ignition timing control and fast idle aren't working. But hey, the fuel pump is working :D (good old mechanical injection). I haven't checked the fuses myself, but I was told they are OK. Hence, they might not be. I will check them the day after tomorrow myself. As to why there is no power to the relays in the ECU box (not the ECU itself, this isn't tested), I have no idea. The service guy said that he only did: change battery connectors (old ones were the original and were looking sorry) and he sprayed the electrical "distributor" plate just to the right of the battery with anti-corrosion spray. The same goes for the ECU connector, he says there was oxidation and he cleaned it with that spray.

Also, the technician said the ignition contact might not be working correctly, though that is highly unlikely in my opinion. The car was running great when I left it a few days ago. Must be something he disconnected.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'm puzzled why the mechanic disturbed the ECU at all.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Can you confirm these are still plugged in? (see first post, second photo) viewtopic.php?t=49686
Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Post by Deacon »

Yep, these things look sort of unrelated, but I guess they are caused by the same problem. The way I see it is: The ECU thinks that the engine should be off, but we start it nevertheless with 12V to the fuel pump solenoid+normal contact, therefore bypassing the ECU check for immobilizer, which leads to rough engine operation.
I checked the pictures. Both connectors should be plugged in, right? I will check tomorrow and I will report back.
Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Post by Deacon »

I was busy these days, today I checked that plug and it is in place. I got no more ideas. Waiting for the visit with the auto. electrician.
kenbw2
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: -
Current:
2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD: daily driver
1997 Peugeot 806 1.9TD: backup vehicle
1996 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD: donor car
1997 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16v: Aussie play thing

Former:
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8: got a new owner
1994 Peugeot 106 1.5D: killed by a deer
1996 Peugeot 106 1.5D: cremated

Post by kenbw2 »

I didn't realise the XUD9 ever had an ECU. When did they come in?

I assumed the XUD9 was phased out roughly the same time they put ECUs into the DW8/TUD5 engines.
Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Post by Deacon »

kenbw2 wrote: 21 May 2018, 16:05 I didn't realise the XUD9 ever had an ECU. When did they come in?

I assumed the XUD9 was phased out roughly the same time they put ECUs into the DW8/TUD5 engines.

It appears that the last 1.9TD models were running the latest ever attempt to tame the XUD9 in terms of electronics, noise, economy and polution. Mine has the XUD9TE version of the engine. My electrician knows these cars like the fingers on his hands and says there were 4 or 5 in total, versions of the XUD9 with different injection / fuel pump system models. When all the electronics are working, mine works quite smooth and silent (when warm) and the diesel "knock" isn't that audible. For example. at 2000 RPM you will still hear the diesel-like motion and noise of an HDI, while in the XUD it seems like a petrol car (no diesel noise, it just hums). Also, the car moves quite well for its 1500 kilos and just 90HP.

My neighbor still rocks a good old 405, rocking a non-turbo early XUD9. Man that thing KNOCKS when cold. Just like mine, without the ECU controlling the pump... And now the dynamic of my engine is gone as well. :(

Fingers crossed. Somewhere around the 1st of June, I am bringing her in with the technician.
Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Post by Deacon »

A little bit of update. Still waiting to get her to the electrician.

In the meantime I ordered a brand new top engine wiring loom. Something tells me a wire might have broken when the loom was displaced to reach the belts. The car has 200 160 Kms, but the cables might have aged and are stiff.

Also changed the plasting thermostat housing. The old one leaked. Having a new radiator, water pump, new oil/water heat exchanget, I'd say the system is pretty well sealed.

Now ... Today as I was staying in the car with A/C on, suddenly fog like air gushed through the vents when the a/c adjusted itself to the temp I set. When I restart the blower, the fog appears in like 3-4 mins. Am I looking at heater core replacement or is there a chance for it being the "receiver - dryer"? The fog air smells kind of sweet, I think.
Deacon
(Donor 2021)

Post by Deacon »

Problem solved. The issue was with the ECU wiring harness. The guy who did the belts touched and messed up something, he did his job right, though, only touched where he isn't supposed to. Now this is fixed and the car runs again like a dream. It is one of the latest produced btw, month before they ceased production of 1.9TD Xantias. Pretty important to keep the ECU running on the later DHX XUD9TE engines. Nonworking ECU might be detected if the RPM gauge isn't working and there's no 12V going to the solenoid on the Bosch pump.