Uh-oh

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Uh-oh

Post by RichardW »

The dark patch on the carpet in the passenger foot well on the Xantia that I convinced my self earlier in the week was mud, was looking ominous this afternoon. Had a closer look - didn't appear wet, didn't smell. Hmm. Reached up under dashboard to find it all wet, and that is definitely coolant and not rain water[:(]
Haven't got the time to change the matrix/have the car off the road just now, so will be selling my soul and trying Forte Stop Leak first. Guess I will be getting accquainted with a Facia-less Xantia later in the year though..... Ho hum. Least I will be able to changed the dash bulbs in there before they fail[:)]
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Richard,
You may be pleasantly surprised with the Forte Stop Leak results.
I dropped in at my local industrial diesel workshop this afternoon and, yes, in array behind the counter were bottles of the stuff.
(Now this outlet do not sell furry dice or illuminated screen wash nozzles. There is a healthy smell of DERV and oil, along with men delivering frighteningly large injector pumps for repair.)
"Yes, mate, we've been using it for years, you can't beat it" they said.
And, no, I'm not on commission from Forte...
rg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I got the Forte stuff (2 bottles, one for the ZX as that has a slightly weepy radiator - and nearly fell over when he asked for nearly 28 quid! It had better be good stuff - this was also a 'proper' garage. and guy said you'll not beat that for sealing). Initial results seem promising - it now appears dry under the dash after about 100 miles. Fingers crossed!
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Richard,
It should be c. £11.00. Possibily cheaper on the web. It's mainly a "trade" product, so sold through distributors, hence no route to the importer. IIRC it's made in South Africa, which is a very good sign. They have some seriously abused vehicles, and need something that works. There are not many furry dice in Bloemfontein..
rg
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Mostly I grumble a bit about "temp liquid cures" but I do have to admit there is a place for them.
18mths ago an Espace I look after had the dreaded slimey mat syndrome. Now getting the dash out on one of those makes the Xantia look like a doddle. So I said to the owner we could try a leak sealer. I seem to remember using something like Radweld Plus...anyway 18mths and 20,000 miles on and it is still holding!
Good luck with yours Richard.
By the way the Forte products do have an excellent reputation but due to restricted outlets the prices can be pretty steep.
David