C8 - airbag fault but not the airbag...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aneesh84
My Cars:

Re: C8 - airbag fault but not the airbag...

Post by aneesh84 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 12 May 2018, 23:26 It is also possible that, with the new MoT regulations coming in, a faulty airbag system could be classified as 'Dangerous', and that means the vehicle cannot be driven away from the test centre!

Once you disable an airbag, it is shown as not present in any OBD testor. Hence it will not give any error or alarm, so there is no way MOT will see unless they plug in a lexia and check one by one each airbag present.
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The airbag light is supposed to light up and then go off when the ignition is on and they test for warning lamps. If it is not operational that will likely not happen.

But that’s not the point. It’ll very likely invalidate insurance in an accident if a fitted safety device has purposefully been deactivated under subsequent investigation.

It’s better to try and fix the problem and not leave the problem for the next unsuspecting owner of the vehicle....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 May 2018, 00:34 The airbag light is supposed to light up and then go off when the ignition is on and they test for warning lamps. If it is not operational that will likely not happen.

But that’s not the point. It’ll very likely invalidate insurance in an accident if a fitted safety device has purposefully been deactivated under subsequent investigation.

It’s better to try and fix the problem and not leave the problem for the next unsuspecting owner of the vehicle....

I get your point. Definitely if it can be fixed, it should be.

And you are right, things are different in Portugal!
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
lifechooser
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0 HDi

Post by lifechooser »

wheeler wrote: 12 May 2018, 22:23 On the C8 that fault code is normally caused by a faulty splice under the carpet near the sill, if I remember right you need to take the seat out to get to it, you cut the old one out & resolder & heatshrink.

That would make sense, especially with it happening during cornering. Can you clarify the location? Which sill is it, and which chair do I have to remove?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

lifechooser wrote: 13 May 2018, 08:53
wheeler wrote: 12 May 2018, 22:23 On the C8 that fault code is normally caused by a faulty splice under the carpet near the sill, if I remember right you need to take the seat out to get to it, you cut the old one out & resolder & heatshrink.

That would make sense, especially with it happening during cornering. Can you clarify the location? Which sill is it, and which chair do I have to remove?

It must have been at least 10 years since I have done one of these repairs but they used to be fairly common, as for which side, it's the same at both sides so it would be whichever side is causing the fault. I always done both sides when doing the repair as it was inevitable that the other side would play up a short time later.
As for exact location like I say it has been over 10 years since I done this repair. I just remember you have to take the seat out to lift the carpet up for access, I believe it's part of the loom that runs down the sill which then goes across the floor to the airbag ECU.
If I could see the wiring diagram it would probably jog my memory as to which splice it is.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Post or PM your VIN and I’ll be able to check the wiring
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc