warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brendan greehy
My Cars:

warning light

Post by brendan greehy »

i am new to this forum so if this has been raised before sorry, i have a 93 xantia turbo , and have a problem with the hydrolic warning light , it takes 20 -30 seconds to go out first thing in the morning and the power steering is very stiff, after a few minutes the warning light comes on for a short time ,then goes out. the garage put hydroflush in to the system , will this get rid of this problem or should i take it back.any advice is more than welcome
thank yoy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi Brendan!
Hydraflush is a good place to start, but I think you may well find that the hydraulic pump is worn out. How many miles has it done? The 20-30 seconds might indicate that the accumulator sphere needs replacing, but the light coming on again, seems to me a sure fire pointer that the pump is past its best. Not difficult to fit, and not too expensive from a breakers, or exchange from GSF.
brendan greehy
My Cars:

Post by brendan greehy »

thank you for the information , i had a new pump fitted last year as the old one had split when its retaining bolt sheared in half , the car has done 146,000 miles ,(not by me i might add , as my annualmileage is about 8,000).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you have a flow divider then I think thats where your problems are. It micht respond to flushing, it may respond to overhaul (kit of seals and cap retaining springs anout £20) or it may be totally knackered and need replacing.
I had problems with BX TD which were a bit different to yours. i too fitted a new pump and all seemed well for a bit but gradually it went back to its old ways. I never had problems with the steering but pressure in the rest of the system could be suspect and generally I could only get the car to rise by turning the wheel against resistance. Most alarming was the habit of putting on the warning light within about the ifrst 5 miles.
In my case I found the pressure relief valve in the flow divider was assembled incorrectly and putting it back together properly solved the problem completely.
jeremy