AX driveshafts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nelray
My Cars:

AX driveshafts

Post by nelray »

is it true that when you hear the driveshafts clunking when you turn the steering (while the car is moving), it's time to change the driveshafts. I've heard from a few sources that you need only to change the driveshafts's rubber gaiters and replenish the grease. I also heard from some mechanics that the cv joints can be serviced or repaired. Anybody has comments on this ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you have a clunking noise when turning then the CV joint is worn out. It MAY improve by repacking the gaiter with grease, but I doubt it. I don't know about the AX, but it might be possible to just buy a new CV joint, rather than a whole new drive shaft.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

No, the AX driveshafts don't have a removable outer CV and, unless you have it professionally overhauled, you’ll have to get a replacement unit. Having said that, my CV’s are shot but it hasn’t failed the MoT and they have clicked away on full lock for over 40k miles (two MoTs) – you just have to ensure the gaiters don’t split and the joints don’t run dry. Keep them properly greased and they’ll likely last some time yet.
jgjones095
My Cars:

Post by jgjones095 »

Hi, I have a similar problem with my AX, though ive driven about 20k with it making the noises! Check out the relpies i got, it ranges from the suspension through to the wheels etc.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5824
<hr noshade size="1">
Jonathan
95 AX Cascade 68k
87AX 11RE 135k