clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Frenchy
My Cars: Xantia
BX
Peugeot 406 (Now baked bean tins)
Supra's
Audi's
protons

clutch

Post by Frenchy »

Really hoping somebody on here can help.

Looking for the clutch master/slave cylinder hydraulics for my son's 2.1 td. We know these are nla but is there a chance of finding the part or does anybody have the part number? The clutch is taking at the top, so obviously well worn

Alternatively are they able to be rebuilt (excuse my ignorance) and if so any idea who or where.

Any help appreciated.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: clutch

Post by xantia_v6 »

Frenchy wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 12:27 The clutch is taking at the top, so obviously well worn

Can you clarify that?

I presume that we are discussing a Xantia?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could try the Citroen XM forum.

Peter
Frenchy
My Cars: Xantia
BX
Peugeot 406 (Now baked bean tins)
Supra's
Audi's
protons

Post by Frenchy »

Yes should have clarified that, it is a 98 mk1 xantia2.1 td
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It's unlikely to be the hydraulics with those symptoms, more likely to be the clutch itself.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've known a lot of Xantia hydraulic clutches 'bite' right at the top. I had a 2.1TD that did and it went on fine for tens of thousands of miles like that...

Normally hydraulic clutches show wear by slipping or destroying their release bearings.

You won't get a second-hand set of hydraulics as they come in two parts. Both parts are pre-bled and once joined cannot be split again. And without removing the engine first they cannot be swapped in one piece - hence why they came in two parts...

They are a sealed assembly but with a bit of ingenuity can be bled again... There are a few threads on here describing it. One you may wish to look at is my description of the job in the Blogs section when I replaced an Activa clutch. If you can't find it I'll dig it out for you...

Generally the hydraulics are very reliable. The worst that happens is the clutch assembly fails by pulling the release bearing from the diaphragm spring and causes stress on the salve cylinder; This can be repaired effectively and the thread I reference above explains how.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...