Citroen OEM brake parts which manufacturer supplies them

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rosanbo
My Cars: CITROEN C4 PICASSO EXCLUSIVE E-HDI 115 AIRDREAM (2013 MK2) (DV6C engine)

Citroen OEM brake parts which manufacturer supplies them

Post by Rosanbo »

Wondering who makes the discs and pads for Citroen? When you buy Genuine parts what effectively are you buying?

Does it vary according to model and does it even vary from year to year within the same model?

Or is it always been the same manufacturer for all or most models?

Thanks
onix45
My Cars: C4 2013 eHdi 1.6

Re: Citroen OEM brake parts which manufacturer supplies them

Post by onix45 »

I recently had the 'pleasure' of having to replace all my brake rotors ad pads on my 2013 C4, and the service guy who did it told me that the old stock rotors and pads were a brand called "TRW". And even before we knew that the car came stock with TRW rotors and pads the guy suggested TRW as a good price/quality ratio product.
hyperspace
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 X7 2.0

Re: Citroen OEM brake parts which manufacturer supplies them

Post by hyperspace »

Like any manufacturer, the PSA Group have multiple suppliers for their brake components and friction linings. Not sure about older models, but for newer models:

Brake components are supplied by Teves or TRW. Sometimes Bosch as well.

Friction linings (i.e. brake pads) are supplied by Galfer (ITT). Sometimes Federal Mogul (the brand Ferodo springs to mind here), Jurid (Honeywell - I think they sold their friction materials unit to Federal Mogul) or Textar (TMD Friction, now part of Nisshinbo Group) as well.

For some reason (probably commercial/contractual) on OEM brake pads, you'll often find the brand of the brake component manufacturer printed on the brake pad shim, but the brand of the friction lining manufacturer will be engraved on the backing plate.

I'm sure PSA use other suppliers, but those are the big ones.

BTW, I don't think every brake component manufacturer produces friction linings in house, and even if they do, they may choose to contract out their aftermarket line. For example, brake company X might be an OEM component supplier to car company Y, but contracts out its friction linings to brake company Z and sells brake pads on the aftermarket with brake company X branding.