2003 citroen c5 suspension pump / height sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

silverspread
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003 diesel

2003 citroen c5 suspension pump / height sensor

Post by silverspread »

Hi everyone, new member 'Silverspread' with a 2003 Citroën C5 that I have had for about 12 months with no problems until recently.
I noticed a small amount of oil on the floor where I park, I then noticed a few days later quite a bit more.
On a journey back from the school run there was an unusual bump by the car and the rear of the car was now up to probably its maximum height and very bouncy, upon my return home I checked for the leak and noticed that the return pipe on the offside had split, the pipe was reattached with the original end removed and the fluid I had in the boot was placed into the reservoir. I ran the car around to see if it would level and rotated the steering a number of times to try and remove any air out of the system, at this point the pump was noticeable cutting in as the vehicle was parked. The car would respond to lowering to the lowest setting but would take a long time to return to the wedge profile.
It was only when trying to identify possible causes for the backside in the air that I found a video on the height sensor!
looking under the rear I noticed the linkage was adrift of the sensor, I reattached it and on the next journey (to school again) it was fine until the rear rose again the linkage had detached I found a piece of string in the car which held it until we got home, the next day got a piece if wire and loosely attached and enquired about a replacement, however the car went to its lowest level and will not come off the floor. thinking of it I have not heard the pump working at all since.
I have tried disconnecting the battery and going through the sequence to try to reset things but its not having any of it, I have checked all the fuses all OK (especially the 40amp pump fuse)
I do not have access to Lexia but nothing could be found on the system regarding any suspension fault by a breakdown service (using Bosch equipment)

Does anyone know of any startup sequence to prompt the pump into life or might the height sensor need recallibrating??
I am trying to understand why the pump was active for a while after the sensor arm detached but now nothing wondering if the pump would have tried to rectify the uneven height as the car was iocked and has burned out.
If the height sensor went out of calibration would this deactivate the pump? as I now dont know if I am looking at sensor and pump replacements which might render the car uneconomic to repair, which would be a shame as it has just gone through its MOT last month.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: 2003 citroen c5 suspension pump / height sensor

Post by lexi »

There is a few threads on pump replacement with S/H unit. Someone might be able to dig them out. It may be that a sensor needs replaced and the pump inspected for burn out or carbon muck in the workings. If you need to replace the ecu on the pump, it must be from same year I think. Lexia may only tell you what you know already.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
silverspread

Post by silverspread »

Thank you Lexi for your comment it gave me the momentum to remove the pump to see what was going on even though I did not know what I was going to do or expect once pump removed, however I put a multimeter across the two main terminals on resistance at 200k and got a reading of (I think) 9.98k.
While removing I did short the body of the motor from the body once but not a great spark, pump removed and I attached two wires from an old battery across to the two terminals on the motor small sparks but did get some movement, decided to open the motor to see the situation, found the capacitor opened up like a book and when removing the cover from the terminals I saw what I first thought was two ball bearings, on close inspection of the terminal block that is all covered in shiny black paint I noticed under a wing of a clamp a shiny surface which I think might be the sight of where the solder has come from.
Realisation I have now put the multimeter across the two terminals and it is just open circuit, now wondering if I have caused this burnout and not found the cause. In my rush to check if the motor would turn.
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
no further forward.
Any comments would be most appreciated.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I would put the feelers out for another s/h motor unit. I don't know if that capacitor acts as a starter to get the motor going or what. The motors with ecu go for around £70 at scrappys. Hope your availability is better than up here, as it is easier to buy a full car than find one in a yard. I think someone on here replaced bits inside the motor. Whether it was brush wires or the capacitor, I can't remember.
Good pic of the motor. Is the armature and commutator good? The forum is a bit quiet at weekends but there are a few leccy whizzes that might come on to your thread in time.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I would replace the blown capacitor rebuild the pump and bench test it before going to any more expense.

To test it secure it in a vice, connect the main heavy pos & neg cables to a battery then run a pos wire to the thin exciter wire terminal on the pump, the pump should run.

Looking at the brushes I think you might be on a winner, they look very little worn, clean and unburned.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
silverspread

Post by silverspread »

Thank you Lexi & Gibbo2286 for your comments, I have looked on the selling sites and there are some units all requiring postage and very varying prices, also trying various yards that I could get to.
But I have also been looking at some other posts on FCF and there is one that discusses the capacitor (a 0.22 micro farad and 22 electrolytic size) identifying that it would not do anything for the power but probably more to stop interference on radio etc, however if that's the case then how would you get enough power through it for it to explode?
I do agree with you Gibbo2286 regarding the minimal wear on the brushes, the armature seems as good on inspection of the end, I have not removed it all from the body but by hand it does turn and requires a bit of force which you would expect from a high pressure pump.
I am keeping my options open, on a cost basis worth trying a new capacitor!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Other option is that the pump may be good, but pump ECU faulty, or height sensor of course. Keep at it 8-)

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2