Sprung a leak!....not what I thought!!...latest news!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Sprung a leak!....not what I thought!!...latest news!

Post by milleplod »

My '09 2.0HDi is losing water! :shock: I thought I'd been getting a whiff of that 'radiator water' smell over the last couple of weeks, but despite having a good look under the bonnet, I couldn't see anything obvious. I did a 150-mile round trip yesterday, no warning lights (is there a low coolant one?), engine temp gauge normal, heater working normally. Then, this morning, I spotted a wet patch under the front offside corner as the car was parked outside my mum's - I thought it was aircon drain-off. Then I realised I'd not had the aircon on! :oops:

I've just been under the bonnet again - top hose stone cold, despite the temp gauge showing 4/5 bars (so not stinking hot as I'd only been to the shop and back), radiator stone cold, heater working fine.

I'm off to my mate's with it in the morning for him to have a look - he fitted the new thermostat for me a while ago. Is pink Total 'Glacelf Auto Supra' the right stuff to use? Mick's Garage lists it as correct, zero info in the handbook, just wondered if anyone knew....if not, I'll call the dealer in the morning to see what's recommended.

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on 17 May 2018, 13:56, edited 3 times in total.
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Sprung a leak!

Post by bobins »

Glysantin G33 or Revkogel 2000 are what's spec'd in the documentation.
Total recommend Glacelf Auto Supra for mine. You can check yours on their lubricant advisor...
https://total-gbr.lubricantadvisor.com/
Other lubricant advisors are available !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

bobins wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 19:17 Glysantin G33 or Revkogel 2000 are what's spec'd in the documentation.
Total recommend Glacelf Auto Supra for mine. You can check yours on their lubricant advisor...
https://total-gbr.lubricantadvisor.com/
Other lubricant advisors are available !
Thanks for the reply. Yep, it says the same for mine.....£30 for 5 litres delivered from Amazon, I'm wondering just how much I've lost for the rad to be cold! :? Other sites also recommend Comma Xstream G30, which is £18.50 for 5 litres delivered.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I replaced my coolant with the Total Auto Supra, as mine was green when I got it :o

I tend to trust the total LubAdvisor as they seem the go to for PSA fluids.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

You can't always trust the cabin heat as a sign of coolant these days! My 2007 facelift C5 (not X7) has an electric heater in the heater box, so even if coolant wasn't circulating I can still get heat.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Dommo wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 20:11 You can't always trust the cabin heat as a sign of coolant these days! My 2007 facelift C5 (not X7) has an electric heater in the heater box, so even if coolant wasn't circulating I can still get heat.

Mine's got (I think!) the electric heater, but all it really does is to give me lukewarm air, rather than cold, at startup. I'm getting full-on heat once the engine's warm.

I've had a look under the bonnet again just now, expecting to have to top up the header tank - its at the correct level....evn revving the engine didn't see it drop. I'm even more confused.com now! :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
milleplod

Re: Sprung a leak!....not what I thought!!

Post by milleplod »

My diagnostic skills have reached a new level of incompetence! :rofl2: My 'water leak' would appear to be an oil leak! Parked up today, at mum's again, road wet through....as I pulled off, I could see the pretty rainbow-effect wet patch under the front offside corner. Bugger. Had a look, it seems to be this pipe -
rsz_wp_20180427_005.jpg
Power steering? Has anyone got a diagram or part number for it please? :oops:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pete, are you absolutely sure it is this pipe and not the dreaded steering rack leak? I’ll get you the parts diagram in a second.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Hi Marc.

You've got me wondering! :( Would the fluid drip from the front(ish) under the car, I thought if the rack was leaking it would be further back. :? That pipe is directly over where the fluid was hitting the floor.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here's the piping digram Pete and the second picture of the pump for clarity of the connections.
Click to zoom pictures
C5 X7 PS Piping.PNG
C5 X7 PS Pump.PNG
If it is the dreaded pinion leak, then will be about where the driver pedals are located positionally, as the pinion on the RHD is just below these - a good clean up of the area should determine this - but if the oil is on top or around that pipe, it's more likely to be the pipe as the oil from the steering rack shouldn't be able to get above and would drip to the ground.

Marc
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Thanks Marc. My mate's putting it on his ramp tomorrow for a better look, I'll report back! If I'm looking at the diagram right, it looks as if its item no. 1, 4014JP that might be leaking....bet that'll be cheap! :shock:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

£192.84 VAT inclusive Pete, if it is part 1 :shock:

Marc
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

...or take it into your nearest branch of Pirtek and they will likely be able to make you a replacement up for less than half that list price.

They've saved me a lot of bother on a couple of occasions.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Zelandeth wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 01:43 ...or take it into your nearest branch of Pirtek and they will likely be able to make you a replacement up for less than half that list price.

They've saved me a lot of bother on a couple of occasions.

There's a place called Derbyshire Hose and Fittings a few miles down the road, so if it is the pipe, I'll be popping in to see them - their website says they can manufacture to order.

Someone else has suggested the leak could be from the LDS reservoir. My car's had its undertray off for a while now, so I can't see how a leak from the rack could cause drips from under the area of the hose in the pic....which is under the reservoir. Wishful thinking works sometimes....! :-D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
milleplod

My leak was......

Post by milleplod »

.....the ******** rack, after my rather hopeful misdiagnosis! :lol:

Anyway, I've found one in stock at a seemingly reputable place, comes with a 3-year warranty too, £200 delivered. My mate's all geared up to do it, had some helpful advice from Malcolm at Savoy Garage as to how to get it off without dropping the subframe, just need to check on one thing....

....some of the eBay listings I saw mentioned 'no speed sensor', the one I've bought doesn't have one and the seller tells me that none of the many they've sold have been listed with a sensor. Will my leaking rack have a sensor that needs to be swapped to the recon one, or do X7 racks just not have a sensor at all? :?

All I need now is for someone to tell me there's 2 types of rack....and I've just ordered the wrong one....! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.