Anyone want a very heavy ashtray?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Anyone want a very heavy ashtray?

Post by uhn113x »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=10376
Wonder what he is actually selling, if anything? Look at the postage, as well!
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

It looks like he is selling various parts off his car, he is asking people to email him for these parts and then I presume price will be discussed. He is asking people not to bid for the ashtray as this is just a front for the things he has for sale. Of course if you want the ashtray then bid for it.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Nah, don't have a use for an ashtray. Wonder if fleabay would be interested in what this guy is doing?
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

It's quite a common type of ad to find on ebay and it is against the spirit of ebay without a doubt.
If you advertise an item for less than a pound starting price then there's no listing fee - hence advertising a small component for sale.
What you tend to find is that someone will bid on it and that often this will be for a penny or 99p and that becomes a legal contract to supply the goods. In the majority of cases people forget the delivery charge when placing the ad so have to send the item out and it costs them money. By putting a ridiculous postage cost he's ensuring nobody places a bid for the item.
It's basically free advertising at a national level, but I've no idea if ebay has a history of taking action against people who do this - I suspect not since anyone can re-register with a different e-mail address each time they're banned so there's not much they can do unless they make it a policy to delete these ads in the first place.
Adrian
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This has a familiar ring to it; very similar to some character who had a pic of a BX 17 DTR covered in moss & mould and was trying to sell the windscreen and first bid was .99p (I think Jon may have posted that link)
When you read down the ad though, it was a case of him selling the car for parts & obviously he was using the windscreen as a teaser but was "open for offer" on the rest.
You can bet quids it's only a matter of time before eBay jump on this if it becomes a habit.
Alan S