Dispatch 1.9d problems with fuel shutoff

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dive Tramp
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 55 plate 1.9d

Dispatch 1.9d problems with fuel shutoff

Post by Dive Tramp »

Hi folks, as per the title, I'm having a nightmare with this motor. The fuel shutoff solenoid blew up (in the wilds of Ardnamurchan, of all places!).
This was sorted back home after removing the armour and screwing in a new single wire solenoid which worked great for 400miles then it too blew! When we took the rubber plunger off and ground down the metal plunger bit and fired it up the engine rattled like crazy so I got towed home again.
Aaargh!
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Dispatch 1.9d problems with fuel shutoff

Post by ekjdm14 »

Strange for a stop solenoid to fail, although I did have a 2 wire one die on our ZX.

I have to wonder, given the next breakdown & subsequent rattling, if it is a problem elsewhere. (Hope no filings got in and damaged the pump, what was the reason for grinding the pin? The normal "get me home" is to just remove the innards and use the stop lever to switch off).

What makes you suspect the stop solenoid, have you tested it? I wonder if it's a power supply issue to the pump, since that could also cause a clattery/rough engine if it's one of those with a needle lift sensor and electronically controlled advance.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Dive Tramp
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 55 plate 1.9d

Re: Dispatch 1.9d problems with fuel shutoff

Post by Dive Tramp »

Yes, the solenoid was completely at fault here. Since it was "butchered" I couldn't take it back for refund/replacement but the van has been performing perfectly well since I fitted a yet another new solenoid.
Incidentally, apparently the loud rattle was due to air in the system which was actually eliminated by pumping the primer over 20 times after fitting the new solenoid (something which the garage chaps didn't know about!).