Mk1 C5 water leak into hatchback boot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tontonjon
My Cars: Deep Purple Mk2 Cactus manual and Emerald Blue Mk2 Cactus automatic
Used to own 1970 DSuper and 2003 C5

Mk1 C5 water leak into hatchback boot

Post by tontonjon »

Hello everyone! So, having replaced the front suspension, the MAF sensor, the centre of a wheel and the 10A fuse that blew when I tried to use the windscreen washer in the recent big freeze, the next thing on my list is to stop water leaking into the boot.

The other day, one of the recesses in the inside lining of the boot, the part of the cover where you pull down to close it, was wet. It had been raining hard and the car was parked facing downhill... I pulled off the cover to have a look; there are two long strips of foam along the top edge either side of the wiper motor which are there to stop the cover rattling. The one on the left was full of water. I peeled it off and found that one of the clips just above it that hold the wires in place is loose and water is coming through it. I tried to push it back in tight, but it won't seal like the others do, so there's a small gap for drips to get in.

I know that water gets through into the boot frame and that there are drain holes for water to get out; I intend to put mastic under the clips to stop water getting into the inside of the boot, but I think that the origin of the leak is the rubber strip at the bottom of the rear screen. I cleaned out some algae a couple of weeks ago from this area and may have helped seperate the seal and boot enough to let water in, as this is a new issue. There aren't any tell-tale signs you get with longer-term water ingress. It would make sense to stop water getting into the inside frame of the boot.

My question; how is this rubber strip held in place? Can I just pull it off, clean it up and reseal - or is it, as I suspect, more complex than that?

In the meantime, I am parking facing up hill!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Mk1 C5 water leak into hatchback boot

Post by lexi »

I haven't had these issues. If you are taking out a seal and bedding it back in, then butyl sealant is good ie Roof and gutter Sealant.
As long as it is not showing anywhere it can be touched, as it does not set. I have my bootwell drilled. It is better to let what comes in, get out. This may help in you other areas of ingress, as long as water cannot drive in the holes you make, it is sound practice on old cars.
In boating, they are called scuppers :-D
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
tontonjon
My Cars: Deep Purple Mk2 Cactus manual and Emerald Blue Mk2 Cactus automatic
Used to own 1970 DSuper and 2003 C5

Re: Mk1 C5 water leak into hatchback boot

Post by tontonjon »

OLD CARS?! 2003 isn't "old"!

Anyway, it's not bad enough to start drilling holes anywhere, but I certainly don't like damp carpets! I have some "proper" vehicle sealant, so I'll probably try that first. I used the gutter sealant on the DS (when I had it) and it certainly isn't the stuff to use this time as unless I pull of the seal it will need to go in the small gap between the seal and the boot.

I'd prefer it to be inconspicuous though, so the question remains - is it straightforward to pull off the seal under the rear windscreen?