legalaties.. DPF

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dumpvalve
My Cars: Citroen c5 2.2hdi

legalaties.. DPF

Post by dumpvalve »

ok, I thought it was now illegal to take ye DPF off and have the ecu remapped, so why doing a quick search on the net there is a lot of company's still offering this? I now you can de-cat and its not noticed on the mot.. I think I herd somewhere that the government are changing the mot so they can tell weather its been removed, if so all the people who have spent a lot of money getting them taken off will have to spend a fortune or dump the car.. does anyone now what's going to happen
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: legalaties.. DPF

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That is correct - it is illegal for vehicles used on public roads to have emissions equipment removed like the DPF. Because for one, the car will no longer meet the emissions standards for which is was categorised / certificated for at new. Insurance will also be void.

They have been clamping down - and some of the places on the web have now done the sensible thing, withdrawing the DPF removal services and instead offering DPF cleaning services. Those that still are and pretending it is legal are essentially criminals and should be treated as such IMO.

Any MOT testing station offering this service will have their MOT testing approval withdrawn if found to be providing this.

For the driver, you can get a £1000 fine if caught driving such a vehicle.

I think Friends of the Earth are running a campaign against these companies - as in the case of Avontuning who the Advertising Standards Authority forced to remove their ad for the service - unless they informed the public that it was illegal to do so!

Now with the new MOT that is going to be much stricter, MOT testers can refuse to test the vehicle if it looks to be tampered with and of course they are investigating new ways to detect for the DPF removal.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dumpvalve

Post by dumpvalve »

dumpvalve

Post by dumpvalve »

I don't believe this is happening, the issue is the mot doesn't have time to take every DPF off

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ate-filter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would think that there is an obvious starting point; the emissions test. If an otherwise satisfactory car is producing higher that expected emissions there is cause to suspect the DPF has been altered.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
dumpvalve

Post by dumpvalve »

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

dumpvalve wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:14 I don't believe this is happening, the issue is the mot doesn't have time to take every DPF off

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ate-filter
That press clip is from 2013 - but the testing stations for the MOT are not (currently) allowed to remove anything on the car. So they cannot do anything at present short of looking for signs of tampering or evidence of it missing. They either have to pass it so long as it passes the emissions test, or refuse to test it.

Under the new rules they are tightening up on the smoke tests, so there shouldn't be any smoke emitted for diesels with a DPF - so that may be the way to go. Of course it is perfectly acceptable for you to have your DPF cleaned out and put back - this shouldn't necessitate the need for drilling in or cutting the canister though.

Marc
dumpvalve

Post by dumpvalve »

I personally think that DPF are far to complicated and with the average person earning basic pay it was always never going to work that is why most people opt to de DPF ,, ive said it before and really think its the end for diesel cars,, I for one will be looking at a very basic non turbo petrol engine and I think that's the route the government will take.. mot stations will never have the time to be taking DPF off as people just take the inside out of the OEM one and get It mapped .. if the government want to really sort it out they need to bring a machine out on the mot that can detect the presence of a DPF...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

An OBD2 reader should be able to flag up removal using the differential pressure reading.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They are looking at ways to do this.

What you have to realise is that we were all conned into owning diesels not so many years ago by the Government - best thing since sliced bread, all that economy etc. etc., now they realise that the pollution is an issue. It has to be said though, that the PSA DPF is extremely efficient and takes 99.9% of all the harmful particulate matter out of the air that your small kids with developing lungs can breathe in. It's the Nitrogen Oxide NOx that is the issue now - but again, the new systems have both a DPF and an SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction), So the DPF eliminates the particles and the Adblue ( UREA - a kind of Amonnia or Cow Urine) to convert the NOx into hydrogen, water and a small amount of CO2. - so probably better than a lot of petrol vehicles.

A small price to pay for the extra MPG some would say and really are good for 120,000+ miles at least.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

myglaren wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:38 An OBD2 reader should be able to flag up removal using the differential pressure reading.
A good point Steve - but what about if they have also physically removed and deleted those sensors from the software. A PF is supposed to remove 99.9% of particulate matter - so should be easy enough to check - the question is who is going to develop and market such a system at this stage of the game I wonder....

Marc
dumpvalve

Post by dumpvalve »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:47
myglaren wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:38 An OBD2 reader should be able to flag up removal using the differential pressure reading.
A good point Steve - but what about if they have also physically removed and deleted those sensors from the software. A PF is supposed to remove 99.9% of particulate matter - so should be easy enough to check - the question is who is going to develop and market such a system at this stage of the game I wonder....

Spot on my friend
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 17:42 Any MOT testing station offering this service will have their MOT testing approval withdrawn if found to be providing this.

A local MOT garage round my way get round this by simply registering the ‘tuning’ side of it as a separate business. They have Joe Bloggs auto services and Joe Boggs tuning & performance services. Both businesses operate out the same building and the same staff work there but they are separate businesses. The father has the garage & the son has the tuning outfit.
They have had VOSA round giving them a bit of greif about it but apparently they cant do anything, at the moment anyway.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’ve read another case of father and son business doing the same and they had their MOT approval revoked, even though it was shown that they were in different names, they had the same directors and registered business details so were caught red handed. Turns out the father and son were each ‘liking’ each other’s business too. Totally sad. And I’m glad they got shopped.

Re Avontuning, they incredibly are still advertising the service, but now they have to include a rider at the bottom to say it is illegal. Won’t be availing myself of any of their ‘services’ methinks. Pity the poor sod that ends up buying a used car with no DPF in and then gets lumbered with it.

Marc
dumpvalve

Post by dumpvalve »

Have a look at this its a great video.. and FUNNY
Last edited by myglaren on 02 Apr 2018, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TouTube link