DS5....again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

DS5....again

Post by qprdude »

The car performed well on last months trip from Surrey to Aberdeen. It coped with the horrendous snow and icy roads between Gretna Green and Dundee, where it cleared up nicely. The main problem was the siting of the window washers nozzles, and the fact that they are not heated. Firstly, being sited under the bonnet edge they wipers simply piled the snow over them. What clever designer thought that one up. Secondly, no heating meant frozen tank/pump/ pipes/nozzles for 250 miles. Great spec for the so called "Premium model". My fault? Probably, as I should have drained the system and refilled with low temperature fluid before starting out but honestly, would many people really do that, bearing in mind that the tank is about as accessible as the bottom of the Marianas trench. Once the system had thawed, I pumped most of the water out and filled it with ultra low temperature fluid.....then the snow stopped and the temperatures rose considerably. :roll:
On a better note, by driving at a very conservative pace between Birmingham and home, I was able to achieve a magnificent 59.7 MPG

Next, the lack of a handle on the boot. There is an interior release button and an exterior button hidden beside the reverse camera but the hatch doesn't "spring open" so basically, you have to force the tips of you fingers into the gap and lift as best you can. The boss just can't do it as her fingers are not strong enough. May I respectfully suggest that the design engineer who thought this might be a good idea should keep their eyes open for a new opportunity, as auto design doesn't seem to be their particular forte. A career change might benefit the Citroen buying public, as well as themselves. :roll: :roll: :?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS5....again

Post by GiveMeABreak »

More tales of woe Rick :-D

Actually I think they designed the wipers to recess under the bonnet edge to prevent accumulation of snow UNDER the wiper blades, which happened on my old XM. One winter years ago I got caught coming back from a course and we had snow flakes the size of pancakes coming down. The snow very quickly got impacted by the downward movement of the wipers - putting pressure on the motor as the wipers would not travel back down far enough. I had to keep stopping and clear the scuttle out of compacted snow before they would work again properly.

I think having them recessed under stops the snow building up as much as possible.

Screen wash - I simply use the premium 5 litre Halfords pink stuff all year round with -10 degrees protection I think - no watering down - just goes straight in and never to date have I had frozen pipes.

I do miss the hydraulic bonnet lift though on the X7 - seems a real backward step to me having the old turn of the century manual stays!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Jim's selling a Skoda. It might serve you with less complaints.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

qprdude wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 18:51
On a better note, by driving at a very conservative pace between Birmingham and home, I was able to achieve a magnificent 59.7 MPG

I'll be honest, 60mph cruise gives me 60 mpg in my X7. One caveat to this is that you have to go fast first to get the suspension to lower itself for motorway speeds (think it’s about 120 kph). After this it stays in the lower position which really helps the economy when cruising.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 19:30 More tales of woe Rick :-D

Actually I think they designed the wipers to recess under the bonnet edge to prevent accumulation of snow UNDER the wiper blades, which happened on my old XM. One winter years ago I got caught coming back from a course and we had snow flakes the size of pancakes coming down. The snow very quickly got impacted by the downward movement of the wipers - putting pressure on the motor as the wipers would not travel back down far enough. I had to keep stopping and clear the scuttle out of compacted snow before they would work again properly.

I think having them recessed under stops the snow building up as much as possible.

Screen wash - I simply use the premium 5 litre Halfords pink stuff all year round with -10 degrees protection I think - no watering down - just goes straight in and never to date have I had frozen pipes.

I do miss the hydraulic bonnet lift though on the X7 - seems a real backward step to me having the old turn of the century manual stays!

It's the screenwash nozzles that are under the bonnet lip Marc. The perfect place to get blocked up. The wipers are fine. Yes, I intend to use low temp stuff from now on, maybe a little diluted in the summer months. The manual bonnet stay on the C5 X7 used to baffle me too. A big luxurious car with manual stay???? All you can say is, " it"s French"! At least the DS5 has the hydraulic lift. Pity they couldn't manage to fit one on the rear hatch though, it's abysmal. I'M
I'm thinking of buying a small tailgate handle from another manufacturer and fitting it to the DS5, but I'm wary of drilling through the double skin and creating a rust point.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.