Own up Jon!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Own up Jon!

Post by RichardW »

>Jon Wood - Forum Admin.
>93 ZX 1.9TD 134000 miles [:(]Ill and being fixed.
What's up with it then - nothing terminal I hope? Progressively worse whining noise on my BX TD eventually confirmed itself as the alternator - when it seized solid whilst my wife was driving (10 miles after I drove it 900 miles to Glasgow and back in a weekend[:D]).
Haven't had a look at the gearchange on my ZX properly yet, but a cursory look confirmed your under-car diagnosis as there didn't seem to be any movement at the engine end whilst my wife was "Waggling the stick".... I looked up the kerb weight too, and see it is around the same as the BX at 1050kg. No wonder it goes like a scalded cat!
Jon

Post by Jon »

ah yes, the ZX TD is at Louis Barbours garage. It started making this screeching noise which rapidly turned into a groaning screech, on the M4, from the RH side of the engine. In case it was a t/belt tensioner or roller I diverted rapidly and dropped it off at Louis', they are going to look at it today, could be the alternator or PAS pump they reckon. [B)]
Hardly in the "spirit" of Forum DIY I admit, but I was 60 miles from home and very near to my mate's garage when it happened!
Looks like the money I reserved for doing our Kitchen is going to be rapidly eroded. [:(]
PS, glad you asked, in replying I have finally exceeded 1000 posts! [:D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Good news, it turns out that the bearings in the alternator/PAS pump belt roller tensioner were shot. ! New tensioner and a new belt have solved the problem, collecting the old girl tomorrow.
This is the third time this particular part has been replaced. I ruled it out as the cause as I put a new one on at 110,000.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Got it from a dodgy supplier.....????
Both my TDs are squeaking a bit at first start, which I am sure is that tensioner (no A/C so manual tensioner only on both cars). Not bad enough to worry about just yet.....
Jon

Post by Jon »

Dodgy supplier? The one that has just failed was a Genuine one, made by INA. [:0]
Now replaced with pattern one!(Automotive Bearings Ltd"). We'll see.
[:p]
I have a theory that they don't last long as I drive through a ford which is generally over a foot deep, every week, and the alternator belt shrieks like mad and slips straight afterwards for a short while.