CX indicators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marc61
My Cars: CX GTI T2
SM 2.7 carb
DS21EFI

CX indicators

Post by marc61 »

Hi,

I’ve got an issue with the indicators on the CX (1987) only working when they feel like it, while the hazard flashers will always work. When they don’t work the flasher relay just buzzes. I’ve been sticking my arm out the window, but people don’t look for hand signals nowadays. So I need to fix this and could do with some advice.

I think the hazards working means the earth wiring is ok and the wiring from the battery positive via the hazard switch is ok. But the battery feed via the ignition switch to the indicator switch is probably the issue. I’m guessing the current going through the indicator switch is small so that’s less likely to be the issue, so could it be the ignition switch or is there a known wiring issue in the dash?

I took the indicator switch apart, checked for continuity when switching it and all was ok. Reassembled and everything worked properly, then 2 miles later they stop working and the relay just buzzes!

Any suggestions as to the probable cause of this or what to try next would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cheers

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: CX indicators

Post by myglaren »

A remote possibility but worth a try is the hazard switch being corroded internally. On at least some Xantias and possibly others operating the hazard switch 30~40 times will clean off the corrosion and restore normal operation.
As said, a long shot but a cheap one to try initially.

Welcome to the FCF :) :welc:
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Likely causes are the indicator switch (they aren't massively durable and switch high current om a CX) or the Hazard switch/connections to the Hazard switch, as suggested - I have had problems with the Hazard switch cause indicators to fail on CX S2s before now.

Also as a side note... Hazard switches off a 405 look the same as an s2 CX.... But aren't. CX switches are rated higher because they switch the full current, while 405s went through a relay. I found that out the hard way (fitted a 405 switch and it melted internally)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
marc61
My Cars: CX GTI T2
SM 2.7 carb
DS21EFI

Post by marc61 »

Thanks gents, I’m glad I asked. I tried leaving the hazards on for a few minutes this morning and amazingly enough the indicators worked properly after that!

But then after a few miles they didn’t, so put the hazards on again and all was good once more, but only for a while. Not sure I understand what’s going on with the hazard switch. I looked at the external connections and all looks good and clean, so is this corrosion inside the switch? Do you know if it will come apart?
Cheers

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Can't recall, tbh.
You can remove the top to replace the bulb, but i think that's as far as you can go???
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)