Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2014 - Clutch issue?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mattes21
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 BlueHdi 150psi -Daydream

Re: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2014 - Clutch issue?

Post by Mattes21 »

Hi Marc,
Can I pick your brain again? [-o<
I was looking at the MOT advisory notes, Most have been sorted.
However there is one that I'm struggling to source #-o
Nearside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement rear mount (2.4.G.2)
That's how it reads on the MOT advisory sheet...
A) Is there any sort of manual out there to pinpoint me in the right direction? B)where can I get the correct part C) would is require a bench press?
I had to have a real trailing arm bush done on my previous ford galaxy which required a bench press.

I am very mechanically minded but have struggled of late when it has come to the Citroen due to so many variants of parts and lack of exposure compared to other manufacturers online :roll:
My ford I was able to buy all the injectors and cutting tools over the counter etc and the bushes were over the counter too..it seems I have to order most things when it comes to the Picasso :?:

Thanks again in advance, look forward to your reply...
Regards,
Matt
lucastheschnauzer
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post by lucastheschnauzer »

Many thanks for this post Matt, and also the reply from Marc.

I have exactly the same issue, in your words :-

The car: 2014/14 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 Hdi 150 88,500 miles (mostly motorways)
On the motorway 6th gear and when accelerating it seems as if the clutch is slipping - revs climb and then it feels as if it bites and its back to normal.
I have also tried to use the active cruise control, again the car feels the "slip" and automatically turns the control off. Worse when the car is loaded up for the annual trip to Cornwall.
This doesn't happen in 1,2,3rd gear and can't say I've noticed it in 4th gear... No issues accelerating on day to day basis. Can safely say I've only noticed it on motorway.

I suspected it is the clutch and have been 'managing' this for some time, i.e. when it happens, I throttle back so it stops immediately

I also thought it was something to do with the 'Recall' change in clutch components under warranty by Citroen a couple of years ago.

Thanks Marc for the explanation - all makes sense.

Regards,

Mike
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll first start to notice it in 5th and 6th for sure, where the torque tends to be - but progressively then in 4th too as it worsens.

Until you get it fixed, I recommend if you are using cruise, then don't re-engage (resume) the cruise control at too low a speed. I.e. if you have cruise set at 70 Mph, and it is disengaged at some point (for braking or other), then don't re-engage it from say 40 or 50 MPH if possible, as the tendency is for the engine ECU to rapidly get back to the programmed speed and this will usually mean increasing engine power severely to get back to that speed - and it will cause the slipping and dis-engagement again. Better to get it to near the speed you want then engage it and then just allow it to make the subtle power adjustments.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dunc78
My Cars: Citroen C4 grand Picasso

Post by Dunc78 »

Hi, I have a similar issue with my automatic (well triptronic) c4 grand Picasso (2014 64 plate) It just revvs up when I accelerate sometimes (Quite often) then slowly falls back down. It doesn’t have any extra ‘bite’ when it does this it’s just all mouth and no action.
I’d take it into the garage but i feel like I’d be taken advantage of as I don’t have a clue why it’s doing it!
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Post your VIN up (automatically masked form public view) so I can identify the exact system you have. If its the EGS, then that's not an automatic, it's a manual gearbox and clutch with piloted controls and the slipping will be 90% be clutch gone and / or DMF fail. It's the same as when you accelerate hard in a manual especially in 5th or 6th and the engine revs increase, little or slow corresponding speed increase.

Marc
Dunc78

Post by Dunc78 »

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick reply. The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

Thanks

Dunc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Dunc - 2 things:

1) Yes, you have a piloted manual box, so not a proper automatic. Your slipping will almost certainly be a worn clutch and ' or DMF - in either case, if you are doing the clutch also plan and budget for a dual mass flywheel as it realistically won't outlast a second clutch and the labour to do this job is intensive.

2) Importantly, when checking your VIN, you may not be aware that there is an outstanding aftersales campaign due on this vehicle, so I suggest you contact Citroen as soon as possible. When vehicles go out of warranty and are no longer main dealer serviced, new owners are not notified to the dealer network and so the new owners will never be aware that there is outstanding work needed.

You have the DV6 engine and I have seen about 3 other members in the last month with the same engine being unaware of this after sales remedial work. It is very likely this will be either the fuel injectors that need replacing or the timing - in either case don't delay and ring the dealer up. Tell them you have been made aware of an outstanding aftersales campaign and quote your VIN. They will be able to confirm this with you. Any work required is usually free of charge.

Marc
Dunc78

Post by Dunc78 »

Brilliant Marc, thanks for the advice and heads up. Do you have a rough estimate of cost for the works you think are needed?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Dunc - no problems, at least you are aware of this now.

I can provide you with live Citroen parts and prices but we do ask for a Forum donation for this info - being as we are charged by PSA for access now since March this year. If you do feel this would be useful for any parts info or parts diagrams for now or the future, just click on the link and make a min. £10 donation which will cover you up to 2 years.
A response to your question by a forum admin will require detailed vehicle information that requires you to have made a current contribution to the Forum.
Donate

Further Information
So although you could get the work done elsewhere - consider that these systems need additional work to calibrate the gearbox position and grid settings afterwards that require suitable diagnostic tools to do. You could also consider sourcing the correct parts elsewhere and asking Citroen to do a fit and calibrate only of course. Mind you if you are going to get the recall work done at the dealer it may work out better overall if they are going to do the lot for you :-D

Marc