BX bleed screw

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

BX bleed screw

Post by ohms69 »

What size is the brake bleed screw on the bx calipers?[:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

It is an 8mm but do not use a spanner of any description to loosen it.
First Wire brush, then loosenin' juice, then A SIX SIDED SOCKET. This will save you at least one caliper.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Cheers mate,
worked perfectly on 3 of the calipers and on the drivers side rear it stripped the head[:(]
How can this be sorted?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

You won't win. Go to the scrappy. you'll only need one half of the caliper as long as it all remains clean.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I always heat the caliper and bleed screw with a blowlamp before I touch em and still some of them break. I agree about the six sided socket though, If the thing is only rounded off how about some small mole grips , if you can get it out a new bleedscrew will save the day.
Stewart
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Cheers stewart,
A blow lamp and mole grips it is... Failing that, looks like a visit to the scrappy could be inorder1[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's when you're stuck in problems like this - that fantasy helps you [:)]
Especially if MOT is scheduled next day [8D]
- first thing is to get the bleed nipple out - heat & patience does the trick. A broken bit in caliper means troublesome drilling and oversize bleednipple. Almost any German car uses 10mm metric bleed nipples - available all over.
If you take that route - and the caliper pressure feed pipe is willing to cooperate - then remove this pipe and connect a low pressure air supply.
This will blow out drilling & threading bits. Of course you must wear protective goggles.
This way you dont need removing the caliper - and a broken nipple is no disaster - just a delay.