Relay 2.2 hdi - loss of power and squealing sound

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jamesald
My Cars: Citroen relay
Transit connect

Relay 2.2 hdi - loss of power and squealing sound

Post by Jamesald »

Hi everyone I'm new here , hope this is in the right place !

I have a 2007 Citroen relay van it is the 2.2 engine (same as transit).
On startup when cold it has an uneven idle and sounds like it's trying to stall but doesent , however once it warms up it idles a lot better. I'm also experiencing a loss of power with very poor fuel economy and a strange squealing sound usually around 3000rpm although will do it earlier in the rev range if I put my foot down . I've noticed some white smoke for a minute on start up on cold days aswell but only for a minute ( been told this could be condensation in exhaust ? ) . A couple codes come up when I got it plugged in , TURBO PRESSURE VALUE TOO HIGH, - INTERMITTENT AND EGR FLOW TOO LOW, AIR TEMPERATURE SIGNAL SHORT CIRCUIT TO + OR OPEN CIRCUIT- THESE ARE PERMANENT FAULTS. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be ? Been told my turbo is fine and I have a egr blank (done after got the codes read) . Also I'm very dubious about taking into a garage as my local one told me my van runs fine and has plenty of power lol although I drive this daily and it feels like I have no turbo anymore ! He put the squeal down to the gearbox and was ready to let me spend £1500 on one however one of my friends said this was unlikely to be the problem and should hold off . Any help would be GREATLY appreciated I'm at a total dead end :(
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Relay 2.2 hdi - loss of power and squealing sound

Post by EDC5 »

It could perhaps be vacuum related, the turbo and EGR are both actuated by vacuum on that age engine if I'm not mistaken. It could also be the vacuum solenoid that controls the position of the turbo (if that engine has VNT).

It would be good to get the codes erased and drive it until they came back as some codes may be from a while ago and are making diagnosis more difficult.
Jamesald
My Cars: Citroen relay
Transit connect

Re: Relay 2.2 hdi - loss of power and squealing sound

Post by Jamesald »

Thanks for the reply ed ! Ok I will get the codes removed and see what comes back . My egr is electrically controlled however my turbo actuator is operated via vacuum , will hopefully get actuator off Sunday and run a vacuum through it to test if working properly , thanks again !