Brake pad warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Danbuoy

Brake pad warning light

Post by Danbuoy »

Back in January, I had to have a new spring and shock absorber on the passenger side front wheel of my 58 C5. When the work was carried out, the garage mentioned that it looked like the brake pad sensor may have been damaged, possibly when the spring broke.

On Tuesday this week, the brake pad warning light came on. The brakes had been feeling not as smooth as usual recently, so it wasn't a massive surprise (although still annoying). I have had no noise from the brake, they just felt a bit jerky when slowing down to a complete stop. Got it booked in at Kwik Fit on Wednesday. They again commented that it looked like the sensor wasn't connected to the pad, but did advise that I needed new front pads and discs as mine were below the minimum. This has solved the jerkiness, but today on my way to work, the brake pad warning came on 4 times. Each of these times I was doing between 50 and 60 mph and wasn't even touching the brakes. It beeped 3 times, the brake pad message came up, and the service light came on. This stayed on for no more than a minute or 2 then cleared. The last time was when I went over a bump, it only beeped once and immediately cleared.

I am assuming this is a due to the sensor not working properly/not being connected, but just thought I'd put it on here to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue. My car is due for its MOT in about a month, so I'm tempted to leave it until then.
Current car: Mar 13 to present: 58 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+
Past cars: Sept 05 - Mar 13: X reg Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi LX - 160k and still apparently going strong!
Sept 03 - Sept 05: N reg Citroen ZX diesel RIP (died on A50 after an altercation with a Merc)
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Brake pad warning light

Post by Homer »

It's just a wire which gets grounded to earth when your pads get to a certain thickness. What has probably happened is it has worn through somewhere and is shorting out.

Just cut them and tie them back. Or replace the section.

New MOT rules say the light has to work but don't say it has to actually be connected to a pad sensor.
Danbuoy

Re: Brake pad warning light

Post by Danbuoy »

Thanks for that. As my MOT is due shortly, I think I will wait until then and get the sensors sorted. It seemed like it would be an issue with the sensor, but just thought I'd check. At least I can say the light is definitely working.
Current car: Mar 13 to present: 58 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+
Past cars: Sept 05 - Mar 13: X reg Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi LX - 160k and still apparently going strong!
Sept 03 - Sept 05: N reg Citroen ZX diesel RIP (died on A50 after an altercation with a Merc)