Xantia rear brake light stuck on!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Xantia rear brake light stuck on!

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
I realise that there is either a very easy explanation, or no explanation at all: I noticed today that one of my brake bulbs is not working and the other one is stuck on shortly after I turn the ignition and press the brake pedal. The car drives normally, I don't think it's the brakes seizing. Are there any other posibilities?
Many thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nikolay -
Do you have a towbar fitted ?
It's very common that the towbar electric outlet makes for trouble in the rear lights wiring.
Otherwise it could be as simple as you suggest : one lamp burnt - caused by a faulty (sticking) brake pedal stoplights switch - keeping the other lamp lit. Or a problem with the wiring at the pedal switch.
Take the burnt lamp first !
- as it's easy to check while you have a constant lit lamp !
It could be less simple though - a missing ground to either lamp cluster could make for some weird lamp functions.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

The brake light switch is right under the rubber covered pedal. Unscrew the one nut, un-plug the connector and it's off. Maybe the swich is defective -you can open the plastic casing and check it. On cars with cruise control it's a single pole changeover switch. Otherwise a single pole normally open switch.
Or maybe the cable feeding the switch is shorted somewhere. The most likely areas to check is where the pedal hinges. The cable may have been snagged.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Update:
I've taken the bulbs and swapped them over. Same thing. After a while everything sorted itself. Both lights work fine. Then after 10 more minutes - one off, the other stuck on. I've now changed both bulbs and it's looking good. Will keep you posted. Still don't know what it was though!
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

if this works it is just the bulbs as i have come accross this and many other wierd things to do with the rear lights only to find out it was only the bilbs.