Directional headlights fault C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Project name: The Mothership

Directional headlights fault C5

Post by wbgenetic »

Hello Lads,

The time has come for me to dig into the headlight issue that I'm facing. This appears to be the following :

I switch on the directional headlights and they seem to function properly.
After 10 minutes, 1 hours, 1 day (differently) an error message pops up:
"Headlight adjustment faulty" followed by the service light and the headlight on the dash blinking.

I switch off the directional headlights from the menu and the error messages disappear.
Then if I re-enable it again it sometimes works.
If I stop the car, start again and enable them they work.. alas for a shorter time span and the same story repeats...

What could be the culprit ?

Thanks,
V.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Directional headlights fault C5

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When the directional headlights switch on (in active mode), the headlight adjustment motors calibrate themselves by moving the lights up and down a few times. If there is a problem with the system, then they will drop into backup mode and provide static lighting.

This can be for several reasons - the motors are not operating correctly, or the the data from the body height sensors is incorrect or not getting through. If it were the height sensors, then I would expect you to be having some suspension problems - i.e. the car riding a little high or not raising / lowering correctly. If this is not the case, then it is likely to be related to one or more of the headlamp motors themselves.

I will have a dig to see what else I can find for you, but you will likely have a fault code returned and stored in the BSI - so if we could have that retrieved it would help identify the main issue. I suspect it may simply be that one or more of the motors is failing / or there may be a break / short in one of the circuits. Getting the code from Lexia will certainly help.

In the meantime, switching the directional function off will at least ensure you have operational lights without the warning until we can pinpoint the exact cause.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

The above describes self levelling, but if this is a series 2 c5 (I don't know, is it?) they also have swivel directional, which presumably picks up steering angle from the com 2000???
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes this is a facelift model, however if the steering angle sensor was at fault this would also generate both an ABS / ESP error as that is linked to those systems, so not likely it will be that Iain unless the OP confirms that there is an ABS / ESP error.

I will look into the backup modes this morning for any other symptoms / causes.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is a list of the faults / messages that can be returned - you'll need to get it on a Lexia to confirm the problem, but this will give you an idea.

If there are no ABS / ESP messages, it may be safe to assume that the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor is functioning properly - so you may want to give the height sensors a good spray of silicone grease to ensure it isn't seizing - but don't get underneath the car unless it is supported independently of the suspension alone (crushing risk from sudden drop in suspension - especially if height corrector is faulty).
Headlamp angle motor (right or left)Malfunction
Connection between the headlampsNot characterised
Internal to the ECUNot characterised
Steering wheel angle signal deviationNot characterised
Front vehicle height sensor signalIncoherence
Front vehicle height sensor signalShort circuit on the +, short circuit on the -
Front vehicle height sensor signalOpen circuit
Rear vehicle height sensor signalIncoherence
Rear vehicle height sensor signalShort circuit on the +, short circuit on the -
Rear vehicle height sensor signalOpen circuit
ConfigurationNot characterised
Headlamp azimuth motor (right or left)Malfunction
Decentring of the headlamp azimuth motor (right or left)Not characterised
Vehicle height sensors not programmedNot characterised
Supply voltage too lowNot characterised
Supply voltage too highNot characterised
No ECU communicationNot characterised
Absence of communication on the networkNot characterised
Dialogue with the switching module under the steering wheelAbsence of communication, value received incorrect
Dialogue with the BSI 1 ECUAbsence of communication
Value received incorrect
Dialogue with the injection ECUAbsence of communication
Value received incorrect
Dialogue with the ESP or ABS ECUAbsence of communication
Value received incorrect
Dialogue with the suspension ECUAbsence of communication
Value received incorrect
Dialogue with the gearbox ECUAbsence of communication
Value received incorrect

Marc
wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by wbgenetic »

Hello guys,

sorry for the late reply but I could not find time to attach the car to the Lexia interface...

So here we go with all the errors I have (and there's quite a few unfortunately :():

Directional headlights: :Headlight elevation motor decentered ... I did not have this error in the past when checking with the Lexia ..
20180209_231047.jpg
20180209_231116.jpg
20180209_231958.jpg
Suspension:
20180209_231350.jpg
20180209_231402.jpg
20180209_231417.jpg
20180209_231433.jpg
20180209_231444.jpg
20180209_231559.jpg
20180209_231737.jpg
BSM:
Wash (3).jpg
Wash (2).jpg
Wash (1).jpg

Ignition:
ECU (7).jpg
ECU (6).jpg
ECU (5).jpg
ECU (4).jpg
ECU (3).jpg
ECU (2).jpg
ECU (1).jpg

Other:
Other (8).jpg
Other (7).jpg
Other (6).jpg
Other (5).jpg
Other (4).jpg
Other (3).jpg
Other (2).jpg
Other (1).jpg
I've tried making as much photos as possible without duplicating stuff...

- I do not seem to have problems with the suspension. I have not yet check the ride height though.
- I did get the ESP/ABS error once in 6 months.
- I always get this error when I run the Lexia global report when it gets to the suspension part.
- I was not able to manually test the headlight movement via Lexia for some reason (Actuator test ...) The beams do move left/right with the stering wheel though (up until the error that is).
- It looks like there is a problem (judging by the errors above) with the wheel angle sensor - but when I test and move the steering wheel it does change values ...

Many thanks for the list and hope I get a resolution (maybe not only for the headlights) :)

Cheers and wishing you a great evening ahead,
V
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Errrr... just a few errors then!

My initial thoughts are, now seeing all these errors, is that the BSI or the engine fuse box may be faulty. It is highly unlikely that you are going to have Injection ECU, suspension, radio, rain sensor, door module, headlight faults etc., all at the same time!

I would read and clear all the faults down, do a BSI reset, but while the battery is disconnected, check all the connections to the fuse box and your earths, plus condition of battery.

Finish the reset procedure and when reconnected, run the car for a few minutes and then connect her back up to Lexia, run a new global test and see what she comes back with.

At this stage I think there is no point looking at the other issues until the BSM fuse box is checked first.

Marc
wbgenetic

Post by wbgenetic »

So here are the errors and what I know about them :
1. Headlamp elevation motor decentered (RH/LH) - I assume that the problem might be here. I wasn't seeing this error before I believe. But it was present as well.
2. Adaptation of sensor to windscreen (aka Rain sensor) this is failing as the front windscreen was replaced before the car got imported from Germany and a chinese windscreen was placed instead of the original windscreen ... I will need to disable this in general from the Lexia if possible at some point as I won't replace the entire front screen just because of it...
3. Fold-in Fold out motor controls - the left mirror folds - the right one does not. Manually also. I have purchased a working right mirror but have not had the time to fit just yet _ I am assuming this will fix it ..
4. Rear-view mirror adjustment information incorrect - not sure what the problem might be - the rear-view mirror does dim when lights from behind are present although I do not use it really.
5. Passenger compartment humidity sensor - no idea what the problem might be - my climate control claps were replaced recently as I had hot air on the left and cold on the right -maybe something wasn't properly fitted after this intervention ...
6. No communication with Radio ECU - I do have a problem with the volume down button on the joystick - although I do not feel that this might be it ... all else works with regards to the radio ...
7. Variable power steering - I do not think that this car has it ... which might mean some setting was previously enabled and should not be ...
8. no communication with steering wheel angle sensor ( incorrect value received) - this could be the Com2000 failing (hope not as it costs 1/2 the car :D )
9. No communication with the built-in systems interface no signal (temp fault) - no idea....
10. Headlamp wash control - afaik this has been disabled somewhere from the Lexia interface ... I would like to keep it as it is as it sort of fails often anyways ...
11. Exhaust gas recycling circuit - Amount of air measured lower than the setting - this could be the swirl valve - and there has been some manipulation done with it prior to me purchasing the car ... (the valve is fixed with barbed wire and does not function). Could be something else of course :)
12. Exhaust gas recycling throttle electrovalve - flow check. Could be the EGR - although it seems to work fine when I switch it manually (I hear some movement). Could be something else again ... I sometimes do get the Depollution system faulty error which I also clear using an ELM.
- I should note that the previous owner removed the catalyst and the FAP and I suspect that there might be some software intervention at play ... :(
13. Cruise control signal - control stalk in short circuit or open circuit. Cruise works perfectly fine.

Overall I do have quite a few issues. I have cleared the errors. Note that there could be errors because I was playing with the fuses a bit - since my rear wiper died on me and I did'n have another spare 15 fuse so had to temporarily swap an adjacent fuse to test ... this could have built a few of the errors above although some I have seen before this fuse game ... The motor of the rear died btw so searching for a working one as we speak.

How do I reset the BSI :? I have tried resetting it holding the DARK button on the dash for a good amount of time. This fixed the no volume/up down from the dash radio button (it was stuck once and did not respond to anything pressed on the dash in terms of sounds/radio). Resetting it like this fixed it ...

** The battery is 2 months old so no issues here (100%).

But it appears that I have a french car with some wiring issues .... lucky me :)

Cheers,
V
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

BSI reset/battery disconnection procedure here

Be very wary of pulling fuses while the system is powered up - most will be fine but others may not.
wbgenetic

Post by wbgenetic »

I've only pulled the fuses out while the system was off - then started the ignition etc...
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

So have we cleared up yet whether it is the self levelling aspect of the headlights that is faulty, or the directional movement?

Your comment;
The beams do move left/right with the stering wheel though (up until the error that is).
(and the thread heading) suggest to me it is the directional movement that is faulty, not the levelling, however the "headlight elevation motor" fault, suggests self levelling would not be working?!
--
Iain

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you don't mind my asking, how good is the battery? It is known that a failing battery can cause all sorts of gremlins in a C5.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wbgenetic

Post by wbgenetic »

2 months old in perfect condition...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This won't be battery for sure - from the update the OP has given us - this seems likely to be the result of somebody being a bit creative with a Lexia.

At this point it is going to be hard to diagnose what is an actual fault, what is a communication error and what has been deliberately deactivated or activated.
1. Headlamp elevation motor decentered (RH/LH) - I assume that the problem might be here. I wasn't seeing this error before I believe. But it was present as well.
As per the fault I mentioned - this can be the motors / communication on the network / height sensors / Steering Wheel Angle Sensor (seeing as you've now mentioned the Comms issue).
2. Adaptation of sensor to windscreen (aka Rain sensor) this is failing as the front windscreen was replaced before the car got imported from Germany and a chinese windscreen was placed instead of the original windscreen ... I will need to disable this in general from the Lexia if possible at some point as I won't replace the entire front screen just because of it...
Windscreen - the light / rain sensor is a separate unit - so won't be the windscreen. But can be disabled - although I suspect as this is integral to the Comms unit and the BSI, you may still get errors in Lexia.
3. Fold-in Fold out motor controls - the left mirror folds - the right one does not. Manually also. I have purchased a working right mirror but have not had the time to fit just yet _ I am assuming this will fix it ..
Mirror controls - this will be related to the fault concerning the Driver's door module that controls these. There are a lot of different options for these mirrors, so get the right one - however with the fault still present in the module - with everything else it is hard to say whether this has been misconfigured.
4. Rear-view mirror adjustment information incorrect - not sure what the problem might be - the rear-view mirror does dim when lights from behind are present although I do not use it really.
Again this may be related to misconfiguration of the BSI or communication on the network
5. Passenger compartment humidity sensor - no idea what the problem might be - my climate control claps were replaced recently as I had hot air on the left and cold on the right -maybe something wasn't properly fitted after this intervention ...
These rarely go - it is usually the air mixing flaps (which you say have been done) , the air heating resistance or the blower motor sensors - so cannot say if this is an actual fault or associated with some of these other errors.
6. No communication with Radio ECU - I do have a problem with the volume down button on the joystick - although I do not feel that this might be it ... all else works with regards to the radio ...
The Radio ECU - has this been configured correctly or not? - if settings have been changed in the BSI and EITHER the wrong head unit has been selected OR the wrong options have been set for the system, this can cause all sorts of problems. - there are options that are controlled by some Head Units like the RT3/4, which should not be enabled for other head units - dong so will cause major problems with the CAN network - such as rear view mirror indexing, auto lights, climate control, directional headlights etc., etc., conversely if the RT3/4 Navidrive options have incorrectly been set for an RD2/3/4 unit then the same will casue problems.
7. Variable power steering - I do not think that this car has it ... which might mean some setting was previously enabled and should not be ...
The power steering is different depending on engine and trim level - some are 'Variable' and others are 'Unvariable' According to your VIN you have 'Unvariable' so it is just assisted..
8. no communication with steering wheel angle sensor ( incorrect value received) - this could be the Com2000 failing (hope not as it costs 1/2 the car :D )
I suspect either this needs to be calibrated - or it is symptomatic with the comms network as this will have a direct effect on your ABS / ESP system - as in you won't have any of these functions operating until this error is corrected. Again - note the input from this system to the suspension ECU, the Healight ECU, the ESP / ASR / ABS ECU and the BSI as already mentioned.
9. No communication with the built-in systems interface no signal (temp fault) - no idea....
Well the BSI is the main computer which controls the other ECUs and enables / disables just about every function on the car. The BSI configuration parameters are what you are changing when enabling / disabling / configuring options with Lexia - some items refer directly to the specific ECU concerned and others are done within the BSI itself. But the BSI has control of most of the car systems - and is critical to the operation of the vehicle.
Misconfiguration can leave the car inoperable.
10. Headlamp wash control - afaik this has been disabled somewhere from the Lexia interface ... I would like to keep it as it is as it sort of fails often anyways ...
This would be essential for your MOT in the UK - as you have directional headlamps (currently working or not) and where this system is fitted it is required to be working and operational to pass, but I note you are in Bulgaria - so not sure what your laws are....
11. Exhaust gas recycling circuit - Amount of air measured lower than the setting - this could be the swirl valve - and there has been some manipulation done with it prior to me purchasing the car ... (the valve is fixed with barbed wire and does not function). Could be something else of course :)
12. Exhaust gas recycling throttle electrovalve - flow check. Could be the EGR - although it seems to work fine when I switch it manually (I hear some movement). Could be something else again ... I sometimes do get the Depollution system faulty error which I also clear using an ELM.
I would say that these are probably the least of your problems - and can be addressed once you get to the route of the causes for everything else.
- I should note that the previous owner removed the catalyst and the FAP and I suspect that there might be some software intervention at play ... :(
Just seeing this little nugget dropped in at the bottom has really done it. As you probably know, that is illegal in the UK (not sure about Bulgaria - but you would need to check your insurance is not void) for a car used on public roads, so if this has been done - the perpetrator has either had a software map applied or completely crippled the BSI to try and hide the fact.
13. Cruise control signal - control stalk in short circuit or open circuit. Cruise works perfectly fine.
Probably symptomatic of the ESP / ABS communication / fault - which will normally disable the system if there is an error - so again this leads me to suspect someone has bu**ered up the BSI configuration
So realistically speaking, I think you have a bit of a lemon. It would seem to be crippled basically. Forgetting the DPF / EGR issues for one minute as these could well be related to whatever damage has been done when the last owner removed the emissions devices - I would suggest if you are serious about keeping it, then you need to get the BSI properly configured first of all - with ALL the original settings correct as they relate to the equipment that was originally fitted to your car. Once you have that done, you can start troubleshooting what the actual 'real' faults are from the ones caused by misconfiguration of the BSI / intervention.

As for the DPF / Catalyst being removed - I suspect that as Bulgaria is part of the European Union, that you may also find it illegal to use in public with these removed - so you may have to way up whether the car is worth getting back to legal road use....

Marc
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

A reset to factory conditions and then a software mod to remove the DPF, should get it sorted?
(Not recommending / sanctioning DPF removal btw, just reflecting reality on the car and that replacing the DPF now is likely to be a bigger PITA/cost)
--
Iain