Charging the battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reef2k

Charging the battery

Post by reef2k »

Do i need to disconnect the positive lead before connecting a charger ? I want to charge my battery tomorrow,after first checking/cleaning terminals. it needed a jump today,so hope to keep it starting for a couple of days until i get time to get a new one,if needed.
C4 GRAND PICASSO 1.6 HDI VTR+
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Re: Charging the battery

Post by milleplod »

I think it depends on what sort of charger you've got. If its an 'intelligent' one, it shouldn't be a problem - I charged my previous battery on my '09 C5 in situ using my CTEK charger a couple of times, with no issues at all. If your charger is a traditional one that simply charges at a constant rate, I think its a no-no charging with the battery still connected.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
reef2k

Post by reef2k »

Hi Pete
It's a modern pulse charger so was hoping it would ok,as i don't want to lose the radio code etc. i had thought about plugging my jump start box into the cigarette lighter to retain voltage if i can find the supplied lead.
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You won’t loose the radio code - they don’t have this feature anymore, as the head units are VIN coded to the vehicle.

Absolutely agree with what Pete said; only use an intelligent charger that will control the charge and shut off as needed.

Also, if your vehicle is fitted with a battery charge status module, the negative of the charger should be attached to this and not the battery negative post. If you’re not sure if it is fitted with one, PM or post your VIN or Reg. number and I’ll look it up for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
reef2k

Post by reef2k »

Marc, i've bit the bullet and disconnected the battery,so hope it'll be ok. it's now charging, i started it earlier with my jump-start unit as i needed to go to the post office.i left it running while i was there and returned home,turned off and tried re-starting,but wasn't having it. Checked voltage yesterday,it was 12.8 V when flat,so will check again with ignition on.Hope it's the battery and not alternator. Battery light always goes out !!
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

12.8V is quite high for a standing battery...

What symptoms does it give when it won't start? The starters on these seem to be a bit weak, resulting in a no-start situation when the engine is warm; you just get a clunk. My 307 has been doing it a while - but since I failed (twice) to get the old starter out, I never got the new one in!
Richard W
reef2k

Post by reef2k »

It just about cold starts with my little 22 amp jump start unit,but not tried a hot start.Yes,12.8 V is high for a flat battery,so may need to get it tested before buying a new one.
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol
reef2k

Post by reef2k »

New battery arrived and all is well again,no issues having been disconnected for 3 days :) Batteries are funny things ..when i first charged the original,it behaved normally,charger took about five hours to complete cycle,re-connected and was as dead as when it started. Put on charge again and after the 3 minute test procedure,the charger rejected it with all lights turning red,tried again,same result even though the magic-eye was happily glowing green. i may lever off the sealed cover and check the water levels,but guess it's beyond help ?
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Likely a duff cell, or battery is self-discharging.
Glad the new one is doing its stuff.
Many car systems are now quite intolerant of low battery voltage, even one that will crank the engine.
Low battery voltage does glowplug system no favours in cold weather; even worse while cranking, which is just when you need the GPs.
Chris
reef2k

Post by reef2k »

My Dad's old BMW 325i would turn over fine,but wouldn't fire unless fast enough,and that was built in 1987,so it's not just modern vehicles,but i know what you mean. The 70 mile trip home in the dark last saturday killed off the old battery,all appeared fine until then,but obviously not all was well.
C5 SX 2.2hdi estate
xantia vsx td estate
BX 1.4 petrol