Xantia 1994 1.9TD doesn't start on the way home

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

npumphre
New User
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1994 1.9 TD

Xantia 1994 1.9TD doesn't start on the way home

Post by npumphre »

I've read lots of post regarding Xantia starting issues. I doubt I have all the issues, but a few I've read could be my problem.

Let's say I charge the car to full on a Sunday. If I drive around a lot on Sunday and come to start Monday morning (drive 1.5 miles to train station) it's perfect. Starts almost instantly. Then I got to work and some 10 hours later it starts, but not as perfect as in the morning. Then Tuesday repeat, and it will start quite well in the morning, but in the evening will turn over say 10 times before starting (quite a lot of smoke when it starts, which dies away). I will then drive the long way home to make sure it will start Wednesday morning, which it does. But Wednesday evening it will turn over (quite a lot slower) many times before starting (you can hear it trying, and eventually does, but splutters a bit for 5 seconds or so before all perfect).

I will then drive the long way home (10 minutes) and Thursday morning it will start. But Thursday night I will need to use the mobile jump starter to get it working.

But here is the interesting bit. The other day I charged the battery and it started great in the morning. In the evening I approached the car to go home and saw that the Battery light was lit on the dashboard. The car turned over really slowly as if the battery was dead and it wouldn't start. Had to be jump started next day by my neighbour. What do you think this all points to?

I have seen this light on the dash a few times, but not all the time, and when I see that it is tough or impossible to start.

Here is some data:

This has started getting worse (since getting cold) the past few months.
I have a 10 month old battery tested (twice) as being 'good'.
A couple of weeks ago had the altenator reconditioned and a new fan belt (showing as charging great, and if I drive round then it does start next day)
The AA guy came out and said that there wasn't much draining the car that he could see.
The alternator garage guy said the same as AA guy

So although the behaviour is consistent week on week, there could also be an intermittent problem too? Or it's the same root cause?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia 1994 1.9TD doesn't start on the way home

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Next time you start her, before pulling away, check how warm the battery leads are. Over time these break down and they get warm (even hot, if they are bad), and will not allow enough current for the starter motor to work properly.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38273

Oh, and :welc: to the Forum.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 02 Feb 2018, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Yes, check the battery terminals/connectors for warmth or heat after cranking. If warm or worse, replace them.
Also check the battery Ground connection to body/engine block. Unbolt and clean up. Check connections at the alternator for cleanliness and tightness. There is likely a connecting block close to the battery, where all the Batt+ cables take off from; check the push-on connectors here are clean and tight.

When engine is running (and headlights etc off), use a voltmeter across the battery terminals to check what the alternator is outputting: should be approx 14.4v. Take this reading with engine at fast idle - say about 1500rpm.

Also, check that the battery isn't being drained by a rogue accessory, when everything is supposed to be 'off'. This is best checked with a multimeter (first on Amps, then mA), between a battery terminal and its disconnected lead. Max drain with everything off should be no more than 30-50mA. 0.5 to 3A is enough to give starting issues. (Replacement alternators which have been incorrectly wired in can result in a permanent battery drain.)

Batteries have been known to fail within a short period of time, but unusual. Check the other things first.
Chris
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I was just about to post .. ALL TOGETHER NOW - "BATTERY LEADS"..