How can it be...??!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bilkob
My Cars: Citroen CX
Citroen C15

How can it be...??!!

Post by Bilkob »

.......that the heater in my C15 van has the heat and strength to cook all the chickens in the back that it was originally designed to carry, and yet my CX heater can't even reach the gearstick with anything approaching warmth??! :?
Still, regular use and some long rapid ( :-D ) journeys are really helping my Turbo. It's so much better to drive!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: How can it be...??!!

Post by CitroJim »

Duff thermostat most likely - stuck wide open...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Totally inadequate air flow through the entire cx heater system by original design, is the main reason!
That plus the coolant flow rate through the heater matrix isn't great, so it clogs/sludges up quickly/easily, plus the air mixer flaps (I'm assuming we're talking series 2 cx here) get stuck or leak by because they don't seal well...

So apart from all that... It's a great system :lol:
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur, I ran CX's for 10 years and none of them had a decent heater as above. There was an air intake scoop available to fit on the bonnet to increase the airflow but never saw one here although I did see one in a French film once - probably the only one they sold.

The aerodynamics of the car were to good for a decent pressure at the intake.

Peter
Bilkob
My Cars: Citroen CX
Citroen C15

Post by Bilkob »

It was kind of a rhetorical question😏 but just HOW did they think this was acceptable??
It makes zero difference as I'm really enjoying mine at the moment. I'll take the epic steering and ride and whoosh and brakes and interior and live with the 'ventilation'........
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

It certainly wasn't acceptable to me, but then I'm. cold at anything below 25C and it did get warm eventually if you went far enough but they were such fantastic cars that I put up with it, when I eventually went over to XM's it was chalk and cheese, a real treat to be warm.

Peter
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep, I know it was rhetorical ;) Was just 'celebrating' the features of the system with you :D
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

I had a DTR Turbo Safari and that took over 5 miles to get the car warm when the outside temperature was near zero.

Still a great car. I also move on to an XM and there was no comparison, but I did miss the CX steering.

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My last XM was a CX25 DTR Turbo, fantastic car. Mine had the dreaded porous block syndrome, the head gasket would fail about every 15k miles, such was my affection for the car that in the around the 160k I had it I had to replace the gasket something like 10 times or more, I even had the block machined, made no difference though so I just kept changing the gaskets.

Mind you it was a relatively easy job compared with a modern car, the engine faces forwards so you are looking at the top of the head, it was also a push rod engine so no cam belt hassle although it did have a belt driving the pump, by the time I had done a few mods like replacing some of the studs with bolts I could get the head off in about half an hour, the longest job was re setting the tappets each time.

The Turbo 2 version just after mine had an intercooler and produced 120 hp at 3600 rpm, did 0-60 in around 10 seconds and 120 mph, in the 1980s!.

With the steering and suspension set up it had, it was the best car I have ever had - except for the heater and handbrake.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 16:32 With the steering and suspension set up it had, it was the best car I have ever had - except for the heater and handbrake.

Not to mention its appetite for head gaskets Peter :lol:

Yes, these days any OHV engine seems a doddle to do in comparison to any overhead cam engine...

Not quite as easy as a sidevalve but not far off!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

install a wood burning stove ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

My CX was very poor, my legs were always cold but I used to get a headache from all the heat gushing from the screen vents. My BX heater is brill and the C5 is ok as well but once again a bit wheezy from the floor vents. The strange thing is No 1 son has the heat blasting out of the face vents on his Nissan Note as does No 2 son on his Insignia and the brother in law on his A series Merc. What is wrong with these people?!
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I remember when Ford managed to defy physics by having heaters that produced almost instant warmth, certainly long before the temp gauge got up to Normal but otherwise I would've thought 5 miles was good; I'm used to 15, or even 50, miles before any signs of warmth (in any vehicle over the last 15, 20 years) I just accept that old(er) stuff won't have a heater worthy of the name although if you've read my blog you'll know that, as of last w/e, I seem to have hit the jackpot, & scored a hat-trick, in that dept.

If/when they do work, the face vents stay firmly shut, although P6 Rovers (V8's at least) would produce a comfortably warm cabin, with pleasantly cool fresh air on the face. Nothing, even with a/c, has improved on that.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I start getting warm air from the vents within a minute or two on the 406s I also did on the C5 as the diesel ones at least have an electric auxiliary heater, draws around 100 amps but gives quite a reasonable heat output. You can see the headlights going dim and bright as it cuts in and out until the coolant reaches a certain temperature. I am amazed that they all still work on 16 year old cars. I thought all diesel cars had them - but apparently not.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 18:44 install a wood burning stove ?

:lol: You could use charcoal in it and cook breakfast on the way to work ;)
van ordinaire wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 21:18 I remember when Ford managed to defy physics by having heaters that produced almost instant warmth, certainly long before the temp gauge got up to Normal
The Xantia Activa with the 2.0TCT defies physics in the same way by giving almost instant heat too!
Jim