ESP - Ecu mute

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Vilpo
My Cars: Citroen C5

ESP - Ecu mute

Post by Vilpo »

So i get randomly esp light on and this fault in the esp-system, ecu mute. No p-code or nothing, just "ecu mute", when i read fault codes in Lexia.
This is meaning a ecu communication fault im assuming?
Usually this fault always comes right after starting the car and taking off. And the light goes away when the car is restarted.
I also have an EGR-valve issue that is giving a fault code in the engine control unit. Could this be related?
Right now im waiting for the new egr-valve to get rid of that fault..
Oh yea, forgot to mention the car is Citroen C5, 1.6hdi -04.

Thanks for help,
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: ESP - Ecu mute

Post by RichardW »

Vilpo wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 19:56
I also have an EGR-valve issue that is giving a fault code in the engine control unit. Could this be related?

Yes! In a bizzare bit of programming, initial EGR valve faults put the ESP (and hand brake light in cars with electronic handbrakes) light on - but do not put the engine management light on :lol: I tried various fixes on our Picasso, including a new underbonnet fuse box, before I finally worked out the EGR link, and replaced the valve, which put the light out!
Richard W
Vilpo
My Cars: Citroen C5

Re: ESP - Ecu mute

Post by Vilpo »

RichardW wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 12:23
Vilpo wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 19:56

Yes! In a bizzare bit of programming, initial EGR valve faults put the ESP (and hand brake light in cars with electronic handbrakes) light on - but do not put the engine management light on :lol: I tried various fixes on our Picasso, including a new underbonnet fuse box, before I finally worked out the EGR link, and replaced the valve, which put the light out!

Ok! I remember reading somewhere a relation between these, but wasnt sure if it could be the same on citroens.. :o
Well this is good to know, so i know should expect it to go after replacing the egr.
And yes, the check engine wont light up anymore, after clearing up a couple of other issues. Even though i have the egr codes stored, just the random esp light..
Thanks for the info!
I'll post back after i have the egr replaced.