C5 X7 Hydraulics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gambler072
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7

C5 X7 Hydraulics

Post by gambler072 »

Hello folks, I have one question concerning a front suspension on my car. The hydroactive suspension is working almost perfectly, raises or lowers cars without any problems, corrects the height when necessary, but sometimes I hear a banging noise from the front suspension. I have noticed that only when I'm going over a speed-bump, but not always, It occurs only sometimes, and it does not matter how fast or slow I go over a speed-bump. Sometimes It feels like that is not making that banging sound when I'm climbing on the speed-bump, but when I'm leaving it, like the cylinders have more pressure that it should be. Does anybody knows anything about it? The car's height is normal. I'm still learning about this suspension, it's my 1st hydro equipped car. The second question is that the hydraulic pump changes the sound when I'm putting the car in the service height (the highest position), it becomes more loud and the noise it produces winding noise. When i lower the car, or put it it normal mode, there are no such sounds, and it has the correct level of LDS.

Thanks in advance
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: C5 X7 Hydraulics

Post by MikeT »

Re that knock going over bumps, always been a failed drop link for me, cheap fix but do get a quality replacement, cheapo's tend to go bad in no time.

Can't help with the noisy pump.
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

Do you have maybe a catalogue number for the drop link, just to check how it looks and to see can I check it without going to the mechanics. I really hope that's the issue :) As I said, it doesn't happen every time, and I think that it occurs when I'm leaving the bumps.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Probably p/n 5087 52 for the left one and 5087 53 for the right one - though a VIN would be useful for proper confirmation :)
There's no obvious signs that one is worn - they may clonk a bit going over bumps, but you can rarely - if ever - detect any play in them when you wobble them.

Part number 4 below
Drop link - fair use, PSA.
Drop link - fair use, PSA.
Last edited by bobins on 09 Dec 2017, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

see also the diagrams and instructions at: viewtopic.php?t=57093
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If it is the drop link and you're doing the job yourself, knock the long threaded section out of the suspension unit with a long 1/2" socket extension bar. They're usually the right diameter and you can knock the link all the way out and leave the extension bar in place to keep everything lined-up - it makes it easier when you come to put the new drop link back in. :-D
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

Thanks guys for the quick help. I won't do it myself, although i believe it's not that difficult, but it is better to leave it to the pro. If anybody has any other ideas what could be causing banging noise, or anything about the pump noise, please help :) I'll ask my mechanic to go with me for a ride, to hear it, and then to check what could it be. is it any chance that there is too much pressure in the suspension sometimes, or that something's wrong with the cylinder (5271K5) or with the sphere?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I've had this banging noise for as long as I've had my car. Not always but usually just after cresting a speedbump there is sometimes a bang (!) I used to be concerned but reading around it seems very common.

I think I'll have a go at changing the drop links over christmas to see if that helps at all.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A word of caution - it might not be the drop links ! They're a very common failure, 50k lifetime +/- 20k (??), but there's a few other things that can go clonk in the suspension as well !! :)
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Mine makes exactly the same noise, in the same circumstances - it seems to be when the front wheels 'drop'. Like you say, it happens on the 'downhill' side of the more vicious speed bumps, and also if the front wheels drop into a pothole, its a definite, quite hard bang! :shock: I was very concerned about mine, so much so that I got in touch with the previous owner, who'd had it from new. He told me that it had always done that, and that he'd had it back to the supplying dealer who in turn got in touch with Citroen as they couldn't find a problem! Allegedly, Citroen told the dealer it was a characteristic of the suspension system. Having said that, I did lots of Googling about the issue, and I'm sure I found someone who'd managed to identify the problem, but the fix was so involved I now just go more slowly over speed bumps, and I don't lose any sleep over it! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

Is it really that difficult to fix it? It is a great relief that it's not something major, but on the other side I really find Citroen's explanation at least funny that it's the characteristic of a hydro suspension. I doubt that any car company would accept their car to leave factory with such sound. I mean it's not Dacia, that was a 25-30t € car when brand new. I'll definitely check mine and give a feedback.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Clunk front 90% chance it is the drop links on all cars
Clunk rear, 90% chance it is the Radius Arm Bearings on Mk1/2 and roll bar bush on the X7

My betting rate
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

^^^^^^^^ What Alasdair said ! They sound good odds to me :-D

Replacing drop links isn't particluarly challenging - with a bit of practice you should be able to do both sides within an hour including two cups of tea and cleaning up - going from wheels on the ground, do the job, to wheels back on the ground. :)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

gambler072 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 21:45 Is it really that difficult to fix it? It is a great relief that it's not something major, but on the other side I really find Citroen's explanation at least funny that it's the characteristic of a hydro suspension. I doubt that any car company would accept their car to leave factory with such sound. I mean it's not Dacia, that was a 25-30t € car when brand new. I'll definitely check mine and give a feedback.

Yes it is a bit concerning, mine also creaks a lot but the performance of the suspension is really good so I cannot find a fault with it.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mine NEVER clunks, creaks or thumps even when I have managed to "jump it" (ok I was being enthusiastic that day), the only noises I have had were caused by a failed drop link and a FRIP joint.

Any noise and there is a fault/worn part.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting