C5 estate tailgate window.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

C5 estate tailgate window.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The estate I've fixed up has one annoying problem...........well not too much of a problem really but every time I unlock it with the remote the tailgate window opens and it won't stay shut unless the engine's running, doesn't do it once on the move but when I open the door to get out - pop - it's open again.

I'm wondering if there's any setting in the Lexia stuff that needs re-doing for the central locking.

Not that I've got a working Lexia..yet. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 estate tailgate window.

Post by wheeler »

Probably a faulty microswitch stuck closed.
Best solution is to just unplug the solenoid behind the tailgate trim & problem solved. Stays shut forever. If you really needed it open you can always just pop the solenoid manually.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I found that, on my C5, water had got into the micro switch (as evidenced by water blackened wiring), and caused the tailgate glass to occasionally pop open when any other door was opened. I was able to get a replacement from Peugeot for under £40, and now the tailgate glass behaves properly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Thanks, I'll have a closer look when the weather is a bit better.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is not too difficult to get the switch off (just somewhat overpriced!). Look on the lower part of the plastic (near where the switch button is), and you will find there is a small hole. Push (and hold) a narrow screwdriver in here (carefully), and it releases the latch that holds the upper plastic on. You can now lift the upper cover off. The nut that holds the wiper blade in place is now exposed. Undo this nut, and remove the wiper arm. Another nut is exposed, which holds the switch assembly in place. Before removing this pop the tailgate glass open. If you are careful you can now (through the U hole in the plastic cover) release one of the clips holding the cover in place, and then careful wiggling will allow you to pop that cover off (make sure that you refit the cover BEFORE testing the switch, otherwise it is very difficult to get the tailgate glass to open! You can guess how I learned that!). Under the cover is the connector for the switch to the loom. With the glass open (and something in place to keep it open) disconnect the connector, and then undo that larger nut. It should now be possible to remove the old switch assembly and reverse fit the new one. I would smear some grease onto the spindle where it enters the tube, to keep it moving smoothly,
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Disregarding it opening when you don't want it, just be thankful that the circuitry is there and working! My Mk1 C5 never did and I'm afraid that I just CBA to do the fix.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​