Why does my C5 want to drive in circles???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Why does my C5 want to drive in circles???

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 09:03I never realised C5s were radioactive - what's their half-life?

That depends on whether they have a manual or automatic gearbox (amongst other variables).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

About 3 years :wink: I had a similar problem with an XM, always pulled to the right, never suspected the tyres as it had a couple of new Goodyears on the front, once they wore out and I changed them - problem cured, so as suggested, try swapping them around.

Peter
UVG

Post by UVG »

So Update at last...

the third tyre centre that i took it to was Kwik Fit but they only had a "normal" tracking rig

after the suggestions on here to get the full geometry checked i called a different Kwik Fit who had one of these machines

they advised that the check was free. costs were only incurred if changes had to be made...seemed reasonable

when they checked the tracking was quite literally off the scale

they corrected the tracking and replaced two back tyres (which definitely needed doing) and revealed me of £150 (which i thought was reasonable for the work done and tyres)

and now it steers like it should do. the only thing i can think off is that the bushes were so worn that standing still everything checked out fine but under load everything was out of line. once i replaced the bushes everything was held out of line even standing still and once this was corrected it all lines up and works as it should

the thrust line check also shows my OSR wheel was running just a little bit out of alignment Kwik Fits Technician said it was too small to worry about and there was no way to adjust it anyway

guess what... four month later and i have just replaced the swinging arm bearings after i started getting that clacking sound that signals they are on the way out

so its taken a while (nearly 2yrs) to get everything right and i will never use the original tyre centre again

thanks guys for your suggestions i hope my final results helps someone in the future

UVG
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Glad you got it sorted. It's astonishing how useful someone with a decent 4-wheel laser tracking rig is when they know how to use it.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.