C5 MK1 Power Steering pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barry Holton
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 5dr Hatchback VTR 2004

C5 MK1 Power Steering pipe

Post by Barry Holton »

Haven't reached this point of decision yet, but would welcome some friendly and of possible positive advice.....
My local Citroen dealer has issued a warning to me regarding the renewal of my CITROEN C5 VTR 16V 5DR HATCHBACK 1749CC PETROL MANUAL 5SP WP53SFJ mot certificate in March 2018. The problem is with the Power Steering hose assembly ( part Number 4014EV ) which is 'seeping' fluid.
The dealer is unable to replace the hose assembly as, we are informed, Citroen no longer provide this part. I have been trying to source the part via breakers yards etc, but so far to no effect.
It seems ludicrous that the car , 13 years old and otherwise in great shape, should possibly need to be scrapped because of a hose failure. If you can suggest where this part can be procured from would be best, but alternatively if you could consider whether there are any alternatives (alternate assembly parts for power Steering? , Disconnect the Power Steering altogether???) Any help would be appreciated
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Should I get rid of my C5?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
BX
My Cars:

Re: C5 MK1 Power Steering pipe

Post by BX »

I'm sure Wiltshire has some excellent hydraulic hose manufacturers/suppliers who supply agricultural and construction customers. One of them should be able to swage on new hose to your original fittings. If its a suction hose you may only need some suitable hose and hose clips, again from the same supplier. My local man has made up several pipes and hoses for me, often to a higher specification than the original.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

My advice would be to take it somewhere other than a Citroen dealer for an MOT test for a start!

A leaking pipe would be a reason for failure but I don't believe a lightly seeping one would be. Sure I've had cars with similar go through multiple MOTs.

As Gibbo says... Pirtek
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

However, not failing an mot isn't a reason to not get the hose replaced, if you want to...

I agree, it's a joke that Citroen have discontinued the part already, BTW.

http://www.autospares.eu/search.html?ar ... &g=1&term=
Supposedly available there (for mega bucks)

A search on Google also shoes this hose being an issue (and unavailable) for other owners in the forum, stretching back to 2014...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)