Xantia door mirror painted cover removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Simister
My Cars: Citroën Xantia 1.8 16V 1997 pre-facelift (current), Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 1987 (sold and much missed)

Xantia door mirror painted cover removal

Post by John Simister »

Hi all, could someone please tell me how to remove the body-colour painted cover from a late S1 Xantia door mirror? I don't want to prise away blindly at the edge in case I chew up the plastic or break something. It's not clear from the outside how the cover is attached.

I've just bought a secondhand replacement for my car's wobbly mirror unit but it's the wrong colour. Hence the need to swap the covers.

Many thanks

John
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantia door mirror painted cover removal

Post by Stickyfinger »

If it has never been off there is double-sided tape (a couple of bits in the middle) and clips around the edges. I start on the underside with a plastic wedge tool and work around. If you damage a clip just use more 3M tape close to the edges.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
John Simister
My Cars: Citroën Xantia 1.8 16V 1997 pre-facelift (current), Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 1987 (sold and much missed)

Post by John Simister »

Great, thank you. I'll do as you suggest.

John
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I attempted much the same thing on my 405 and concluded that in my case, its nigh on impossible to remove the outer, complete with its clips, without destroying the mirror glass and mechanism.

I ended up 'losing' the clips in the course of removal, and the outer is now held on by half a dozen tiny little M3(?) Stainless Steel Pan Head self tappers that I bought online for a quid. They're fairly obvious close up, but its still quite a neat job and in general, nobody (including me) notices.

3M tape wouldn't have been an option on mine coz the fit between the coloured outer and the mirror body isn't everso good.
Puxa