1993 Sinker Xantia HG fail!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Re: 1993 Sinker Xantia HG fail!

Post by aerodynamica »

~~Finally completed~~

I returned to the job on Saturday about noon and only got wrapped up (that is, car been running over an hour and clearing up kind of finshed) Sunday evening. I'd thought I might have it naild by end of Saturday :rofl2: o well, blew the hell out of my weekend..

Anyway, it is done and has done the 20 miles home as well, I'd missed driving it for 2 weeks - aaagh I am addicted to Citroens..

My word Jim, thanks for the "good luck with the manifolds" , that exhaust manifold is a genuine nightmare! I think that should be used to replace prison. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Also my phone died so it's getting sent back for warranty, and I'm on the backup phone that has a dreadful quality camera - it doesn't seem to like focusing on anything at all.

Here's the only few pictures taken today:

All the hard and heavy bits back in, I painted the rocker cover in gold high temperture paint I'd got originally for brake clipers until I went with green for those.. I thought the gold would cap it all off with the new rocker cover seal of course...
ImageWP_20171203_004 by Graeme McNulty, on Flickr
The dreadful camera makes the gold look like lego brick yellow! I assure you it's gold to (sort of) go with the Mk1 Xantia paintwork.

And a few blurry pics of the engine with the final bits on:
ImageWP_20171203_006 by Graeme McNulty, on Flickr

ImageWP_20171203_007 by Graeme McNulty, on Flickr

ImageWP_20171203_010 by Graeme McNulty, on Flickr

I replaced the manifold gasket of course, new thermostat, diesel filter, a good few replaced hose clips. I also fitted the timing belt idler and tensioner I'd bought last year with the belt but didn't fit at the time. The tensioner was alright apart from the battle with the spring-plunger. But the fixed roller was a different shape to the original. It has the same roller and the same fixings but has a massive back plate that when fitted, well, didn't. It fouled on the tin plate thing between the block/'head and the stuff on the timing belt side. It also fouled on the step between the idler and the diesel pump.
ImageWP_20171202_002 by Graeme McNulty, on Flickr

Anyway, in the end I simply cut the new roller back plate to fit.

My god, I must be dumb or the Haynes BOL was written by satan. See, the special tool you are recommended to make to hold the tensioner plunger in for refitting works well, trouble is that when you have to actually fit the engine mount lower support back in place, you can't actually do that with the tool in place because one of the two holes used by the tool has to have one of the bolts already in it to fit in the car again! It's too long a bolt to fit in after it's all in place and the tool is removed. No amount of jacking up the engine or lowering allows it to go in and taking out the 'tool' sees the spring plunger shot out, bang off the floor and spring across the room :-D So I had to do my own method of fitting it back without the tool that was made. I still kept the tool, you know, just in case :lol:

Then the terrible exhaust manifold refit ](*,) Seriously, next time ( :lol: ) I will have to split the turbo off the manifold and refit them all one by one. They'll come out ok but going back in is NOT simply reverse of removal. Those darn manifold studs :grr: my zen was not on this time and I kept wondering 'what would Jim do'.. probably a better way! Note for the future: exhaust port #4 has to have the end and upper studs in place in the head before it all goes back in. All the other studs can slowly be refitted in the head with it all in the car, but the two at the end need to be in already (also the inch-long spacer of each needs to slide on WITH the manifold not after as that is impossible with the turbo in the way) otherwise...... joy.

Anyway the main thing was the head skim and refit and that was fairly straightforward apart from my newly- purchased torque angle gauge falling apart on cylinder head bolt number 8 (out of 10) but you just have a calm chuckle to yourself...

I replaced the fuel pipes because the diesel supply pipe to the filter housing and the one from the filter to the pump were both no longer made of rubber and were now made of stone. The diesel return pipe from the pump has been replaced in the past by someone, badly as it wasn't routed correctly and was too short to properly accomodate the movement of the engine on its mountings. It was also now made of stone and even more solid then the factory pipes mentioned.. All replaced, new clips, a one way valve fitted and a totally cleaned filter housing.

Finally back together and running and I have lost several screws. I'm usually very good at not losing screws as I use several magnet dishes but this time somehow I lost both the M5 screws that hold the air intake pipe to the bracket on the inlet manifold.

Also! everything went on perfectly (apart from the nonsense with the TB tensioners and manifold) but that darn breather pipe that goes from low down on the oil filler column up to connect to the rocker cover really has to be fitted BEFORE the thermostat housing, glow plug connector, diesel injector pipes and fuel pipe to the pump, but hey, you learn....

I enjoy doing this!
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Graeme :D A tremendous effort and a great job done =D>
aerodynamica wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 22:05My word Jim, thanks for the "good luck with the manifolds" , that exhaust manifold is a genuine nightmare! I think that should be used to replace prison. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I wasn't joking!!! Just think yourself lucky yours does not have EGR ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

I believed you there Jim! Anyway I took Old Katy out for a blast this evening and all seems fine - there was coolant in the system after a 24 hour wait though still a bit of pressure in the cooling system even after the wait, Started instantly, not making any odd noises, I brought some water in case it did need topped up but not necessary. There does appear to be some bubbles appearing in the header tank though when running. Oddly they only seem to appear at idle and not with revs where it goes totally clear... With the rad cap back on I did open the highest bleed point to have some coolant flow out and it did let a few bubbles out so I'm hoping it's only trapped air that wasn't bled yesterday. Here's hoping it has all been a success as I don't want to have to do this job again in a hurry. I took the Xant for a few miles' jaunt including a good long hill climb from here in south Glasgow up to East Kilbride if anyone knows the area it's a fair change in elevation. Not exactly the Peak District but enough to make an engine work and all good with the temp gauge barely going above the 85 mark. Oil temp aroung the same.
Graeme M
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent... The last bits of air take ages to bleed out of an XUD Graeme so a few bubbles might be visible for a while yet but as long as they are only at idle and all else is great then no worries...

Main thing is, it's not using coolant or pressurising - they're the cardinal signs and you having been so careful in doing the job you can be assured all is OK..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

Here's hoping! Well I took the car in to work today instead of the bike, it's only 6 miles but enough traffic lights to get the temp up and there are still no signs of any overheat, loss of coolant or other so I'll just keep a watch on it. Seems to be going well and with the new fuel pipes and filter it starts very quickly. I find the front suspension creeps towards the firm by the end of a journey so it might be time to investigate that. All new spheres, LHM and a reshimmed PRV and reconditioned HP pump so I think it might be the 'Diode mod' required or perhaps a tired front hydractive regulator but will see in due course.
Graeme M
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Good work Graeme!
The only time I've done a head gasket was when the engine was already out of the XM.
I have rebuilt the GSA engine but of course that doesn't even have a gasket!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

red_dwarfers wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 21:09 Good work Graeme!
The only time I've done a head gasket was when the engine was already out of the XM.
I have rebuilt the GSA engine but of course that doesn't even have a gasket!

..or two!

I had a GSA Pallas SE back in 2003 with brown tinted glass and a manual slide sunroof! It was awesome and actually quite fast once it was on the M way. Never had to do anything to the engine (though had to do a lot to the fuel and ignition systems....)
Graeme M
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 21:09 I have rebuilt the GSA engine but of course that doesn't even have a gasket!

Hope you changed the coolant on the GS Kev :wink: :lol:
Jim

aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

Still running well, minor problem: been getting a kind of engine vibration through at the pedals. Wasn't sure at first why but now see that is is caused by the new diesel return pipe getting caught between the pipes of the inlet manifold and the brake doseur. It is literally being pinched between the two parts when the engine deflects back with torque. It was originally routed wrong with a replaced pipe and I've routed the new pipe I think, correctly, with a bit more length and via the clip at the timing belt end of the rocker cover. There must be something not right with the routing at the back. It is routed with the diesel supply pipe until they each go apart, the supply to the top of the engine mounting via the squeeze bulb thing and the return to the diesel pump via that clip. Will look soon with some daylight..
Graeme M