e-hdi tensioner vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onix45
My Cars: C4 2013 eHdi 1.6

e-hdi tensioner vibration

Post by onix45 »

Hello,

I have a 2013 C4 1.6 e-hdi, i noticed that my belt tensioner is vibrating, like in this video:

I bought the car about half a year ago and i remember it did this since i bought it, and i thought it was normal. Now, i started hearing some extra noise when the engine is under load, and some ticking when the car is coasting in gear. So i looked for some videos of the engine working and i noticed that the tensioner is supposed stay still.

Is this a problem? I have been driving the car like this since i bought it, so a bit over 6000 miles and all seemed fine. And the new noises i am hearing could be because of of the cooling weather and new winter tyres, i am not quite sure yet.
What should be my course of action at this point?
Last edited by myglaren on 06 Nov 2017, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: e-hdi tensioner vibration

Post by Stewart(oily) »

That looks pretty normal, the ticking sound could be the tensioner pulley bearing, the alternator or a number of other things, if you are worried you might try removing the belt and spinning the pulley by hand, alternator too, feel for roughness, then run the engine without the belt, is the noise still there?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
onix45
My Cars: C4 2013 eHdi 1.6

Re: e-hdi tensioner vibration

Post by onix45 »

It does seem to smooth out a bit when a little throttle is applied.
So this is normal behavior? Surely this does not add to the longevity of the two tensioners.