Should I consider this C5?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Should I consider this C5?

Post by bobins »

A liberal dose of Waxoyl or similar won't do any harm, but if you look at my other thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57734 then you'll see how bad the pinion shafts can get and how Waxoyling it might be an exercise in futility :(
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
faddy
My Cars: 2008 C5 VTR+ 2.0i Auto

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

Post by faddy »

old'uns wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 22:46 MOT? they'll probably spot the leaks anyway, fluids on the outside is never a good thing
I had a slow fluid leak from steering rack of a Peugeot 505 many years ago. I followed the advice of the MOT testing garage and wiped the excess off with a cloth immediately before taking it in (as in stopping in the next road and crawling under the car), which did the trick.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I'd just like to add if I may, that I took my 90800 mile used Mk2 Hdi 16 valve C5 hatch Manual,
for a nice journey of 330 miles return trip to Portsmouth from Kettering Northants last Saturday.
Total fuel costs for the return trip £41.00 and I was gunning it on the way home as I didn't get back until 12.30 am.
its my first ever long run on cruise control and it was absolutely amazing. I was going to buy an auto an X7 but I really cant fault this car
for reliability issues in the last year have been very minor 1 new battery and two sets of sidelight bulbs in fact I replaced them with leds in the end.

Ive had the engine oil changed twice firstly when I got the car last December and 5K later. it flew through another MOT in July with no advisories.
I am now on my second set of front tyres 10K later and I have about 6mm left on the rears. the front brake pads are simply not wearing
as fast as my old xantia pads used to. even the uneven wear of the drivers side pads doesn't seem to be surfacing at all.

I have decided to keep her have a new clutch fitted at Pleiades I am pondering a single mass conversion or Dual mass replacement
at the moment and I am having the gears adapted to a semi auto gear change. something that has been fitted to British Gas vehicle's for years.

I absolutely love this car, it is much less hassle than my old xantia to run. I helped remove the rear callipers whilst at Pleiades
and clean the corrosion from behind them. Ok fuel economy around town isn't great at 38 to the gallon but its not that expensive to run.
I can force a regen of the DPF easily by running 25miles in fourth gear at 3,000rpm in the summer and same gear and revs for forty miles in the coldest of winter weather.
I try to do this at least every three months.

I am very happy with my Mk2 C5 diesel. it took me 8months to find an exclusive in very good condition but it was well worth the wait.

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.