Veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Veg oil

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 17:48The chemicals involved were truly nasty in themselves - never mind the potential for things to go wrong in truly interesting and exciting ways when being used together...

Yes, sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) is some nasty old stuff and so is methanol. Those two used together in bio-diesel manufacture they do indeed present some rather significant dangers...

There are other chemicals you can use but they're hardly inert and free of issues either...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Yes, an for that reasons I’m not going to do waste. I can’t be bothered, she will run on 50/50 for as long as I can get new veg at 70 odd pence a litre. If It gets too much money I will revert back to diesel.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I run mine on veg, only use Svo though, usually from the wholesalers, although I did grab the remaining 3x5l tubs from tesco when they were £3.80 each last trip,
When we did our french trip in june i put 50l veg in and topped it up with some derv. I do carry a spare filter and good quality allen key with me Just in case, but not needed it due to only using svo. Was a little surprised when i had to call the RAC man out a while back that he had no idea you could run them on veg! Gone are the days of knowledgeable breakdown guys!
I always joked about being on commission for the local chip shops, driving round the estates just before tea time.....
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

i dont know what happened to my WVO before I purchased it, it did go through some industrial processes though !

Timmo, I remember taking my TD on a french trip, I filled it at home, and filled the boot with 6 barrels (50L each maybe) and did 5 nights camping around france (as far as Dijon) , and back with no garages involved, felt very rewarding!