spheres??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tinascone
My Cars:

spheres??

Post by tinascone »

i am having problems my citroen xantia, It is VERY bouncy, the front seems to be a more severe bounce, there doesn't seem to be any problem with the rise and fall of the car when the engine is turned on and off, I have changed all the spheres but it hasn't helped at all, could you please give me some tips on what to try next.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Over time - and after service works on the hydraulics - air is allowed to enter the system. This disturbs the suspension - making it feel bouncy. The standard cure is called Citaerobics - found here :
http://www.citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42
tinascone
My Cars:

Post by tinascone »

thanks andy, but we have tried that, would it be possible to remove the new spheres that we have put on and put them back on again?, or would i have to buy new ones?. we really are at our wits end withit.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Is the ride height correct, if it has developed a fault and is riding too high, new spheres wont make any difference and it will feel as solid as a park bench.
You can chop and change spheres as much as you like with no problem, the only thing to make sure of is that the seals are up to it, or they will leak, so best to fit new seals when changeing spheres over though not strictly necessary.
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Before digging in to possible other complex suspension problems - we need the year, model designation, type & mileage of your Xantia.
- for pointers to any known problems.
The tick interval from the pump/regulator with engine idle & normal suspension height would be nice to know.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Where did the replacement spheres come from ?
Is it possible that they are "old" new and already discharged or even the wrong type ?
Mark
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its also possible that if your Xantia is Hydractive, its got non Hydractive spheres fitted as replacements, and vice versa.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahh well -
good point Jon [8D]
Non HA spheres on a HA suspension will make it much softer.
- but harder if vice versa [;)]
tinascone
My Cars:

Post by tinascone »

the car is a citroen xantia LX, 5 door hatchback, 1800cc, it is a 1994 model.It has 100,000 miles on the clock, the replacement spheres came as new from europarts, they are non hydractive, how do i know if my suspension is or not. thankyou all for helping me out with this
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If it's a LX, then it won't be hydractive; being a 94 car, I also doubt if it's got anti-sink either. If the double chevrons are on the bonnet, it hasn't; if they're on the grill it has.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Had an early Xantia last week that was seemingly stuck in high mode
would not respond to lever, shameful workaround coming up,,,,,I supported the front crossmember with a jack and took the weight off the wheels, slackened the pressure release, and using my french enormous chain wrench loosened a front sphere, moved the ride height lever to low (Engine off) and lowered the jack whilst catching the fine jet of LHM in a container, car is now on its haunches, replaced the seal on the sphere which the aforementioned procedure killed, refitted sphere started her up, tightened the release bolt and moved le lever to normal, it works!!! how or why I dont know, the car doews not appear to have anti sink but its now working!
Stewart
tinascone
My Cars:

Post by tinascone »

thanks but the height all seems to be fine, it falls and rises fine, its making more noise than usual under the bonnet. but the height is fine, bouncing is cronic.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tinascone</i>
... its making more noise than usual under the bonnet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's exactly what I'm asking up the thread :
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The tick interval from the pump/regulator with engine idle & normal suspension height ... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds to me you don't actually have a "tick interval" then - but instead a constant ticking - i.e. more noise than usual.
- someone forgot to tighten the pressure relief screw on the regulator ??
- or has this screw (bolt) been allowed to come off completely - and then the ball bearing under it lost ??
cliveparsons
My Cars:

Post by cliveparsons »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Its also possible that if your Xantia is Hydractive, its got non Hydractive spheres fitted as replacements, and vice versa.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">