Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
EDC5
donor 2018
Posts: 988
Joined: 01 Jul 2017, 21:48
x 76

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by EDC5 » 15 Oct 2017, 13:49

I'm slightly annoyed that the RHF has another 3kW of power and better emissions over the RHR! :(

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10641
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 884

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by GiveMeABreak » 15 Oct 2017, 14:22

bobins wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 13:47
Interesting investigation, Marc. It might explain why I ended up with a Euro 4 German emissions sticker for my car ! I'd sent a copy of my V5 to a mate who got an emissions sticker from his local garage for me. 8-[ :wink: I was expecting it to be a Euro 5 sticker, but I got a Euro 4 one. My engine is a 2009 RHF variant. It may be down to the fact that they weren't really concentrating too much at the garage though :lol:

:-D I know - as clear as mud as usual! But worth throwing in to highlight the confusion.

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10641
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 884

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by GiveMeABreak » 15 Oct 2017, 14:25

EDC5 wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 13:49
I'm slightly annoyed that the RHF has another 3kW of power and better emissions over the RHR! :(
But don't forget, mine needs every KW it has to carry all the extra kit - the Head unit is nearly the size of a shoe box and weighs a tonne!

User avatar
EDC5
donor 2018
Posts: 988
Joined: 01 Jul 2017, 21:48
x 76

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by EDC5 » 15 Oct 2017, 15:04

GiveMeABreak wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 14:25
EDC5 wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 13:49
I'm slightly annoyed that the RHF has another 3kW of power and better emissions over the RHR! :(
But don't forget, mine needs every KW it has to carry all the extra kit - the Head unit is nearly the size of a shoe box and weighs a tonne!


Haha, I think the 140PS X7 is woefully under powered, I think the 160PS would be a bit nippier. Although at group 24 insurance already I'm not sure I'd want a faster one.

User avatar
Paul-R
Posts: 2734
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 152

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by Paul-R » 15 Oct 2017, 17:20

EDC5 wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 15:04
Haha, I think the 140PS X7 is woefully under powered, I think the 160PS would be a bit nippier.
Oh yes!

User avatar
Sloppysod
donor 2017
Posts: 416
Joined: 23 May 2015, 23:35
x 21

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by Sloppysod » 15 Oct 2017, 18:14

Marc & Bobbins, I was confused...stickers so I went looking and found these two pages created by the RAC, no longer confused and thanks fr bringing it to my attention.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know ... standards/
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... ch-cities/
Attachments
Euros.jpg

User avatar
bobins
Donor 2016
Posts: 1798
Joined: 05 Jul 2012, 18:07
x 342

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by bobins » 15 Oct 2017, 18:36

Interesting that - according to Wikipedia which we all know is always accurate :roll: - "The DW10B and DW10C are Euro 5-compliant, and therefore still available for sale in Europe"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine

Wonder what the actual carbon dioxide emissions of the RHF variant are ? Might they actually be low enough for a lower VED tax band and the only thing stopping them is the confused paperwork from PSA ?

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10641
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 884

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by GiveMeABreak » 15 Oct 2017, 20:29

That's exactly my point - I saw that RAC thing and ignored it because it meant diddly to me. The approval dates are one thing - but what about late registered cars and all that? So my 2009 is Euro 5 compliant, but like the others has a Euro 4 engine. I think I'll email them!

User avatar
bobins
Donor 2016
Posts: 1798
Joined: 05 Jul 2012, 18:07
x 342

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by bobins » 15 Oct 2017, 21:07

I thought a bit whilst supping a whisky....... having a Euro 5 compliant engine is one thing, but it's the whole car that makes it Euro 5 compliant. To explain this - imagine trying to drive a high street kebab shop(!) up the road with one of the Euro 5 DW10 engines.... the engine will struggle due to the weight and aerodynamics and will undoubtedly spew out all sorts of dirty emissions as it struggles. The 2009 C5 car with the RHF engine just isn't refined enough to get the emissions down enough - it needs things like thinner oils in the gearbox(es) and the odd bit of engine bay tweaking (air flows, alternator charging characteristics etc) to get the whole vehicle into the Euro 5 'zone'.

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10641
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 884

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by GiveMeABreak » 15 Oct 2017, 22:46

Yes, I also saw that there was even some updates to the welding on some areas to the car that were ‘Euro 5’ compliant!

User avatar
Sloppysod
donor 2017
Posts: 416
Joined: 23 May 2015, 23:35
x 21

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by Sloppysod » 16 Oct 2017, 20:34

"SEALED FOR LIFE - NOT ON YOUR NELLY!!"
Hi all, I have managed to track down one definitive answer to how often the AFT should be changed (Partially anyway) in an Aisin AM6 gearbox.
https://www.be.aisin-europe.com/themes/ ... forpc.html

In the middle of page 12 "AISIN recommends car owners to change AFT every 2 years or 20000KM. without proper maintenance for the AFT, you car performance will be worsened, more fuel will be consumed and teh transmission may be damaged"...........

They also list the correct oil, or the most up to date spec, but as of yet I have not found a UK supplier!!... still looking

So far, Exact AW-1 specification oils are:
Petronas Tutela, Granville TDS-279, MPM 16000HT, Carlube AFT LV, Eurol 6700 Atf, not sure about the Total Fluidmatic, ason the front page of the spec it says JWS3309 then further down it states AW-1!

Edited 17/10/17
JWS3309, Viscosity @40 = 35, @ 100 = 7.2, Viscosity index = 180
JWS3324, Viscosity @40 = 23, @ 100 = 5.3, Viscosity index = 173
AW-1, Viscosity @40 = XX, @ 100 = X.X Viscosity index = XXX
Last edited by Sloppysod on 17 Oct 2017, 22:07, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 40913
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 940

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by CitroJim » 17 Oct 2017, 05:41

Does anyone know what the manufacturer's life expectancy for the 'box is?

For the similarly supposedly 'sealed for life' ZF 4HP20 it was stated as 160,000KM (100,000 miles) or ten years - whichever came first.

The average life expectancy of a car I would imagine...

User avatar
EDC5
donor 2018
Posts: 988
Joined: 01 Jul 2017, 21:48
x 76

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by EDC5 » 17 Oct 2017, 12:21

Sloppysod wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 20:34
"SEALED FOR LIFE - NOT ON YOUR NELLY!!"
Hi all, I have managed to track down one definitive answer to how often the AFT should be changed (Partially anyway) in an Aisin AM6 gearbox.
https://www.be.aisin-europe.com/themes/ ... forpc.html

In the middle of page 12 "AISIN recommends car owners to change AFT every 2 years or 20000KM. without proper maintenance for the AFT, you car performance will be worsened, more fuel will be consumed and teh transmission may be damaged"...........

They also list the correct oil, or the most up to date spec, but as of yet I have not found a UK supplier!!... still looking

So far, Exact AW-1 specification oils are:
Petronas Tutela, Granville TDS-279, MPM 16000HT, Carlube AFT LV, Eurol 6700 Atf, not sure about the Total Fluidmatic, ason the front page of the spec it says JWS3309 then further down it states AW-1!



Do they mean it needs a 3L oil change every 20k km or a full 7L oil change? If it's the latter then they should have put a the sodding drain plug at the lowest point on the gearbox!

User avatar
Paul-R
Posts: 2734
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 152

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by Paul-R » 17 Oct 2017, 12:34

Every two years seems a bit over zealous. As does 20,000KM really.

User avatar
white exec
Moderating Team
Posts: 3061
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 13:46
x 378

Re: Asin 6 speed auto - Clunk

Post by white exec » 17 Oct 2017, 12:39

What turns the fluid so black? Friction lining wear? Heat?