Nothing better to do tomorrow......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Nothing better to do tomorrow......

Post by milleplod »

.....so I thought I'd take the opportunity to break a few of the tailgate inner trim panel clips! :-D The high-level brake light stopped working ages ago (snapped wire) and the rear washer pipe's broken too - time to sort them out, methinks! :)

Anyway, can anyone tell me which trim clips I'll need should (when!) I break a few - eBay is awash with multiple types. :? Looking at this 'how to' - http://s796.photobucket.com/user/nevcco ... t=3&page=1 its the upper trim panel I'll be removing.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Nothing better to do tomorrow......

Post by Paul-R »

The Photobucket site is not good for hosting any more. Can you upload the photo to the forum directly?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Paul-R wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 21:15 The Photobucket site is not good for hosting any more. Can you upload the photo to the forum directly?

Doesn't clicking on the link take you straight to the photos? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The link takes you to the photos, but the trim clips aren't obvious.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

bobins wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 21:26 The link takes you to the photos, but the trim clips aren't obvious.

I know, I was just showing people the trim panel I was going to remove! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Which ones are you planning on breaking ? :-D The tailgate parts list is a little extensive to post up as it is, so shout what the numbers are and we'll look up the part numbers :)
BTW, part 80 is 9341PF should that be the right one :-D
Tailgate parts
Tailgate parts
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Crikey, that's an eyefull!! :shock: I think I'll be removing trim panel no. 30, so yes, looks like clip no. 80 is the ones I'll be breaking! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There's 19 in total - you get extra points if you break all 19 of them :lol:
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

£2.50 for 10 on eBay - bring on the breakages! :lol:
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

milleplod wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 21:18Doesn't clicking on the link take you straight to the photos?

Pete
No, it takes me to a page trying to sell me a service for $300 a year!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Paul-R wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 22:15
milleplod wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 21:18Doesn't clicking on the link take you straight to the photos?

Pete

Works OK for me!
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

myglaren wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 22:47
Paul-R wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 22:15

Pete

Works OK for me!

Me too. Mind you, Ive never had anything to do with Photobucket.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Moving on from the clips issue to the brake light. This might help you or others.

My C5 (no longer have it) had a failed light and after much prodding and testing it wasn't the normal break in the wire near the join. I got it all out, not too difficult but take care not to scratch the spoiler - if I reacall it flops down onto the roof so I put a rug across. Once out I applied volts straight to the unit but no success. I separated the lens from the body by running a blade around it - came off easily. The circuit board with the LEDS on it sits on two pillars which you can't see, but if you gently ease the board up progressively from each end using a screwdriver you see how it fits together and in my case the amount of corrosion. You can test the LEDS by applying 12v to the board, remember polarity because they only work one way. After much cleaning and scraping without much success I ended up soldering a new wire directly onto the circuit board, drilling the side of the housing and running the wire all the way back to a connection way down the harness. A bit of sealant to seal hole and stick lens back on and all was (reliably) well.

OK, an hour or so of messing about but I think a new brake lamp is fairly expensive.

Back to clips. I broke a couple, missed one in the clearout and every time I opened the tailgate after that it rattled as it ran down some hidden channel. Grrr. Think like a surgeon, count the bits before you sew the body up.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Richard_C wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 18:04 Moving on from the clips issue to the brake light. This might help you or others.

My C5 (no longer have it) had a failed light and after much prodding and testing it wasn't the normal break in the wire near the join. I got it all out, not too difficult but take care not to scratch the spoiler - if I reacall it flops down onto the roof so I put a rug across. Once out I applied volts straight to the unit but no success. I separated the lens from the body by running a blade around it - came off easily. The circuit board with the LEDS on it sits on two pillars which you can't see, but if you gently ease the board up progressively from each end using a screwdriver you see how it fits together and in my case the amount of corrosion. You can test the LEDS by applying 12v to the board, remember polarity because they only work one way. After much cleaning and scraping without much success I ended up soldering a new wire directly onto the circuit board, drilling the side of the housing and running the wire all the way back to a connection way down the harness. A bit of sealant to seal hole and stick lens back on and all was (reliably) well.

OK, an hour or so of messing about but I think a new brake lamp is fairly expensive.

Back to clips. I broke a couple, missed one in the clearout and every time I opened the tailgate after that it rattled as it ran down some hidden channel. Grrr. Think like a surgeon, count the bits before you sew the body up.

I can see my broken wire, but your info could come in handy in the future! As a matter of interest, how exactly did you manage to get the plastic trim panels off??!! :? I spent ages the other day levering and pulling in various places, but got nowhere - it felt as if either the plastics would break, or my fingers would! :shock:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Post by Lenny »

The last time I took all the trim off my tailgate I used a smallish hole saw on the top bit and drilled a couple holes where the spoiler locating screws are hidden. The holes are covered with rubber blanking grommets and are hardly noticeable.
Next time I have to whip the spoiler off it'll take two minutes and I'll break no clips in the process.
(The worst bit as I recall it was getting the four 'orrible sodding screws back in at the bottom edge)