Door lock and alarm lamps flashing alternately when locked/armed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Door lock and alarm lamps flashing alternately when locked/armed

Post by MikeT »

After a brief (10min) shop dash when I returned to my car before I inserted the ignition I key I noticed one of the red lamps flashing at me which I initially assumed was the alarm. I was very confident nobody had attempted to break-in in the busy well-lit shop car park so made a mental note and carried on.

On return home after turning the engine off the hazards began flashing fast for a few seconds. I seem to have a habit of accidentally pushing a remote button when I withdraw the key so could excuse that for now.

I got out pressed the central locking button on the remote and noticed both the door lock and alarm red led's flashing alternately. Normally just the alarm will flash to indicate it's armed. This is when I realised it wasn't the alarm flashing at me at the shop, but the door lock led.

Puzzled to it's meaning, I checked all doors and windows, reshut them all etc but the results were the same when locked by the remote, alternate flashing of both door lock and alaram led. I came indoors, put the kettle on and checked again - still flashing alternately.

Sat down with my cuppa and browsed the manual - nothing about the door lock led flashing, just the alarm one.

Does anyone know the exact meaning of this led flashing?
FlashingAlternately.JPG
MikeT

Re: Door lock and alarm lamps flashing alternately when locked/armed

Post by MikeT »

Hmm, just found in the handbook it says when locking by key, this led will flash. But in the section about locking using the fob, it doesn't mention this led should flash, only the exterior hazards. If this is normal, I've never noticed that led flashing, certainly not in tandem with the alarm.
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

The “Wi-fi” type button when pressed turns off the interior ultrasonic sensors for such as if you leave a dog in the car. (You have 10 seconds to lock after pressing otherwise it resets. When the ultrasonics are turned off the light on this button and the door lock button flash alternately.
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

That doesn't sound exactly right either Filberton and it's not what my handbook states: The 10second limit is when to press the wifi button from turning off the ignition and there's no limit on how long you can take before locking/arming with the remote. There's nothing I've read that relates to both leds flashing alternately.
And I just tested mine, the results are the same whether the volumetric protection is deactivated or not - both leds flash alternate once the alarm is armed.

I'm hoping this is normal behaviour and I simply haven't been observant enough as viewing these leds from outside is obscured by the steering wheel when looking through drivers window or the seat and headrest when looking from the rear window.
Viewing from the passenger side (which I'm not inclined to do normally) gives a clearer view of both leds simultaneously but still difficult to see unless it's real dark.
Obviously I've seen either one or the other led flashing but not both - until last night!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Filberton wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 12:02 The “Wi-fi” type button when pressed turns off the interior ultrasonic sensors for such as if you leave a dog in the car. (You have 10 seconds to lock after pressing otherwise it resets. When the ultrasonics are turned off the light on this button and the door lock button flash alternately.

Actually the system is the same on the X7, but the 10 seconds applies from after you have switched off the ignition - not time taken to exit the vehicle. So if you have a dog in the car for a short while and want to turn off the interior volumetric protection, you switch off the ignition and within 10 seconds press the alarm button until it permanently lights up; when the car is locked with the central locking or deadlocked, it will flash about once per second. However, the volumetric alarm is generally only activated about 45 seconds after the car is locked - so again you may not always have noticed it straight away.

Mike - this behaviour is normal - the lights (interior locking button and the alarm button) both flash alternatively. As you say you may not have noticed as one of the lights can be obscured by the steering wheel.

The door locking light on the main central console is generally used to activate manual locking of the vehicle doors and boot from the inside the car. Pressing the button once, locks or unlocks the doors and boot.
It is also used to activate the automatic locking of the doors and boot when driving away above 6 MPH. To activate with ignition on, hold the button in for a few seconds until a beep or message is heard. The same to deactivate the system. The light will remain on or off depending on mode. However when the the central locking is operated and the vehicle is locked, it will still illuminate intermittently, regardless of setting.

Regardless of this setting, the door locking light will always activate when the doors and boot are locked. When the car is locked from the outside with central or deadlocking this light will flash every second or so.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2017, 09:29 Mike - this behaviour is normal - the lights (interior locking button and the alarm button) both flash alternatively. As you say you may not have noticed as one of the lights can be obscured by the steering wheel.

The door locking light on the main central console is generally used to activate manual locking of the vehicle doors and boot from the inside the car. Pressing the button once, locks or unlocks the doors and boot.
It is also used to activate the automatic locking of the doors and boot when driving away above 6 MPH. To activate with ignition on, hold the button in for a few seconds until a beep or message is heard. The same to deactivate the system. The light will remain on or off depending on mode. However when the the central locking is operated and the vehicle is locked, it will still illuminate intermittently, regardless of setting.

Regardless of this setting, the door locking light will always activate when the doors and boot are locked. When the car is locked from the outside with central or deadlocking this light will flash every second or so.

Thanks for this Marc, it was the initial flashing led after entering vehicle that threw me, and the "never noticed that before" just added to the confusion so it's good to get confirmation all is as it should be.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

For completeness, I've just learned there is a time-out on the volumetric defeat function. When selected (within 10seconds after ignition off) it will time-out after 5mins if the car is not locked/alarmed, indicated by the LED turning off.