EGR Valve - What would you do?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andle
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2007 - Picasso Xsara - 1.6 HDI - VTX - CH9HXC - DV6TED4 - Manual - 80k clock.

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

EGR Valve - What would you do?

Post by Andle »

Hi all,

After reading most of the EGR valve related posts - I wanted to directly ask forum members for their opinions - with this particular model:

EGR Valve Blanking:

1. Would you do it if you were me (If it can be done at all)?
2. Are there any good reasons that might give me pause before proceding?
3. What do regs allow?
4. Are there any negatives/risks/generalities I need to be aware of?
5. Fair cost?

Picasso Xsara
1.6 HDI VTX
92 bhp
9HXC
DV6TED4
Manual Transmission

My sincere thanks to any that contribute, in exploring this plan.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: EGR Valve - What would you do?

Post by ekjdm14 »

My 2p-:

1. I would consider it in certain circumstances, but only where a correct fix was not reasonably viable in terms of time/money/faff/future reliability
2. Not 100% sure on this model, perhaps my primary concern would be the potential for increased exhaust gas temperatures under load (while beneficial in terms of regen, maybe not good for the turbo long term)
3. As far as I'm aware, the regs do NOT allow blanking/removal/bypassing of the EGR in the UK or Europe since the car would no longer conform to the relevant emissions standards as of when it were new.
4. As above, increased EGT may cut turbo life long term and it's technically illegal. Not that I've heard of any cases yet but there is the potential for your insurance to be invalidated if the undeclared modification is noticed at the point of any claim.
5. Blanking an EGR can cost as little as a can of coke and ten minutes work although this engine may be more complicated.

Overall as I say, I'd probably make a concerted effort to repair it properly in the case of such a late model with tight emissions standards. Had it been a DW8 or something else mechanically-injected of that era I'd have been more likely to consider a blanking plate as there's less at stake overall both in terms of engine health and emissions increases. Generally though I'm of a mind that it's better to have it working as it was designed to do.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
Andle
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2007 - Picasso Xsara - 1.6 HDI - VTX - CH9HXC - DV6TED4 - Manual - 80k clock.

Post by Andle »

Given that I have to make a decision on this in the next few days, here is the VIN:

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I was concerned about sharing the VIN on a public forum - but have been advised that I am over worrying.

I am asking for the community to share recommendations based on the specs of this particular vehicle - as ekjdm14 says - it would depend on whether the car has a DPF and meets other criteria.

I am trying to hone in on the right decision - to help the longevity of the engine/car - and because I am suffering from data overload on the issue.

So with this new info (Vin) - I'm asking for help/opinions.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't have a Diesel Particulate filter on your Xsara Picasso, but it does use the EGR Exhaust Gas Recycling as part of the anti-pollution system. As such we recommend that it should be left to do the job it is intended for.

The Forum rules are clear in that discussion is welcomed on such matters, but members are not allowed to endorse action such as blanking off the EGR as ekjdm14 has already cautioned against, as this would break the applicable laws.

Refer to Section A (7):
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56502
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

A few years ago there were 2 Peugeot 306 (saloons) in the family, both 1.9 turbo, one was a little older than the other and did not have EGR, the other one did. The difference was night and day when you had a look into the inlet manifold. The newer one was caked in a thick layer ( about 1-2 cm) of tar, the older one was a little oily but not restricted.

Now, this was a while ago so the EGR on the newer 306 was promptly disabled and the manifold cleaned.... and that was that.

These days I hoped that things would be better however my 2.0 HDI also has a filthy inlet manifold so it appears to still be an issue. I will get around to cleaning it at some point soon though.

I can see why people blank them off (as it also causes more soot to be produced when you floor it) but I'm guessing on modern engines a fault code would appear if the EGR system wasn't operating properly so it's probably not worth doing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have driven PSA diesels for hundreds of thousands of miles since the inception of EGR and have never had a problem with it. I do drive gently and relatively slowly, don't know if that's anything to do with it. Anyone know what does? Is it to do with driving style or an inherent fault?

Peter
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Andle wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 18:42 Hi all,

After reading most of the EGR valve related posts - I wanted to directly ask forum members for their opinions - with this particular model:

EGR Valve Blanking:

1. Would you do it if you were me (If it can be done at all)?
2. Are there any good reasons that might give me pause before proceding?
3. What do regs allow?
4. Are there any negatives/risks/generalities I need to be aware of?
5. Fair cost?
1. Never.

2. It will turn your car into a mobile NOx factory. The number of people who blank EGT valves is a major reason why NOx levels are soaring and measures are been brought in to dissuade anyone from driving a diesel. It is anti-social and kills people.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -five-days

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tion-study

3. It is illegal to drive a car that has had its ERG valve blanked (or FAP removed).

4. See 2.

5. Leaving it in place is free. In my experience they work fine and problems attributed to them often are due to other issues, such as a leaking oil seal on a turbo allowing oil to be drawn into the manifold.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

A lot of the oil in the intake of a diesel is from the breather, it doesn't actually separate all of the oil from the vapour so oil in the intake is normal.

I think the problem with the EGR (with regards to the gunge buildup) is that the EGR deposits act as a trap for the oil naturally in the intake.
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

Okay - So here's the background:

The fuel filter on my 07' Xsara 80k needs to be replaced.

As the EGR valve is directly under it - Is there anything I should ask the mechanic to check/do?

Actually - please let me broaden this. Whilst the fuel filter is out - are there any preventative maintenance jobs that the community would recommend on this engine?

(E.g - is it likely that the egr should be removed and cleaned? Are there any additional tasks that are sensible to do whilst the filter is out?)

EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Personally if it's working well then I'd probably leave the EGR be to be honest. I'm not too familiar with this engine, is the fuel filter a big job on this engine?
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

EDC5 wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 20:18 Personally if it's working well then I'd probably leave the EGR be to be honest. I'm not too familiar with this engine, is the fuel filter a big job on this engine?
Well the placement in this engine is criticised often. The pump costs about £30 odd, and is at the back of the engine - on top of the EGR valve.

It is not a difficult job - just a lot of faff is involved as a number of other parts in the engine bay need to be removed.

I want to take advantage of this - and am asking if:

1. The EGR should be removed and cleaned whilst easily accessible?

and

2. If forum members can think of anything else I should have checked out whilst the fuel filter (and associate parts) are already out.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can get an aerosol can of cleaner which I think works and saves all that dismantling.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I replaced the EGR on our C4 at around 100k as it was playing up. Turns out that it was probably just accumulated soot in the valve chamber at the bottom causing it to stick (the actuator turns it, and a rising spiral in the body causes the valve to open. Once you have the fuel filter out of the way, it's not that much more work to take out the bracket and air box, and then the EGR valve, which will allow a good cleaning of the valve 'bowl' which should help prevent any sticking.

Richard W
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

As you only deemed fit to remove a part of the post I may as well remove the rest!
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 02 Oct 2017, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for content
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Apart from putting the clip on, I thought the job (on a C4 Picasso) was much easier than I was expecting - you do need to remove the wipers, scuttle, filter, bracket etc. Apparently you can remove the air intake scoop relatively easily as well which much improves access. I got the clip off with Clic pliers not too bad. Re-starting the screw on the 'repair' clip from Citroen could try the patience of a saint. I lost the original gasket down the back - the garage found it when they had the gearbox out to do the clutch!!
Richard W